"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, July 07, 2008

Buying A Book by It's Cover


I think I've mentioned before that I usually pick books to read based on their cover. I love book cover art. I told Jed the other day while shopping at Borders that I'd seen a new edition of Lord of the Flies with a great new cover design and it almost made me want to read it... if it just didn't have it's title there telling me that I already have read and HATED it.

While we were in St. Louis over the Fourth of July, we left the two older kids with my in-laws and Jed, Baby X and I hit Borders. This was one of our favorite dates before Jed and I had kids. And I found these two books that won me over with their cover art, titles, and back cover blurbs and reviews.



I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter

Read the blurb on the link above, but then it said this: "Optioned for film by Walt Disney." And I thought of the teen novels I've loved that have been made into movies lately.
The Princess Diaries
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
How to Deal
etc.

I read this one already and enjoyed it. It's sort of like Harry Potter, if Harry Potter was about spies, not magic, and was an all girl's school in America. Mixed with any teenage girl book/movie dealing with girls and boys. Mixed with a teenage version of Alias.




Secrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen Calonita

This one basically told me that if I liked The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and The Princess Diaries books, I would like this one as well. And I did, so we'll see.

3 comments:

wendys said...

Going to bookstores is our favorite date too! It's hard to to judge a book by it's cover, when some are really cool and other's really lame.

julie said...

I love Young Adult Lit. I recommend anything by Shannon Hale, especially Princess Academy. I also like Gail Carson Levine, who wrote Ella Enchanted. These would also fall under the category of fantasy, so if you don't mind reading that genre, I think you'll really enjoy those. Need I ask if you've read the Twilight series? It seems like everyone is reading or has read those books by Stephenie Meyer.

Jo said...

I too bought the Secrets of My Hollywood Life b/c of the cover! I in turn convinced my students this past year that they too should read it as the cover was pretty. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...