"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, July 14, 2008

Apple Pie

This should be my September post since apples go with the whole school scene in September, but I'm thinking of it now. Oh well. I love these books:

The Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall Illustrated by Shari Halpern

And I never got to make my apply pie for the 4th of July, so I made it last night. I don't actually like apple pie for the most part. I know, so unAmerican of me. But I LOVE this pie. I've posted the recipe before. But here it is again, with pictures of us making it. And if I stop being lazy, I'll scan the beautiful picture in from my cookbook since my pie looks nothing like it and never will.


Buddy, my little baker, peeling, coring and slicing apples.



Apples all sliced up.



Then I mix them with the cinnamon and sugar, et al. and dump them into the crust.



Sprinkle the struesel mix (my favorite part) on top.



Bake, cool and eat. Great with vanilla ice cream (unfortunately, we were
out due to all the Purple Cow Milkshakes we've been making).

Speedy Streusel Apple Pie recipe here



My recipe notes:
  • This time I used Granny Smith apples and peeled them. Princess Sparkley is not a fan of apple peels.
  • I don't think I had enough apples. Buddy ate a lot as we sliced. It calls for 5-6, I think we used 4 1/2 larger apples. But we definitely needed more.
  • I love the streusel top, but it seems like I come up short on it to cover the whole pie. But two whole crusts for the top seems like a lot. Maybe one and a half? I wonder if you could freeze that other half again, or just make cinnamon sugar crisps with it?
  • Notice how none of my pictures show much crust... I'm horrible at making the crust look all ruffled and pretty. This recipe is great because it calls for Pillsbury crusts that are all made and ready for me to use. I don't even use a rolling pin on it like the recipe says. I just unroll it and stick it in my pie plate. Excellent for those of us with no pie shell making skills.

1 comment:

wendys said...

That looks yummy, except I don't usually like pie crusts. I like fruit cobblers or apple crisps because it has the yummy topping without the weird crust. Is that a pampered chef apple peeler machine-thingy?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...