"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer Drinks

This was a summer staple of my childhood, it's sort of an Orange Julius knock off, but not really. And we never did the fancy orange garnish.



Orange Summer Cooler

Ingredients:
1 6 oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
10-15 ice cubes
optional: banana, berries, etc.

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in blender. Cover and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Serve immediately or freeze some for later. Makes about 6 cups.


Another fun cold orange summer drink and a story: Once while eating at Denny's the waiter recommended what was basically an orange Creamsicle milkshake. I love orange Creamsicles almost as much as I love chocolate with peanut butter. Basically make your normal vanilla milk shake (vanilla ice cream and milk) and add some orange juice. I don't know how much... 1/2 to 3/4 cup maybe. Super yummy. I ordered this at Denny's every time we ate there from then on, and surprisingly when we were first married, we ate there a lot. I think it was the Moons Over My Hammy. And the milkshakes. And the being opened late. And the being down the street from one of our first apartments. Sometimes the waiter was cool with it. Sometimes he was confused. Sometimes they charged me for a vanilla milkshake and a small orange juice. Argh. Try it out!

1 comment:

Ashby Family said...

That is so funny! We made the same drink as kids. Your recipe is the same. My grandma made it for us all the time and now I make it for my kids.

Small world.

Are you guys having any weather problems out there?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...