"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, June 30, 2008

Repercussions of too much jam


image from www.jif.com

I've made a lot of jam lately and due to the extreme deliciousness of it, we're going through peanut butter at a much faster rate than normal. Which, until now, I didn't think was possible. I love Peanut Butter and Jelly (or in this case, Jam) sandwiches. But with homemade jam... mmm ... even better. Besides, I love peanut butter. Period. My roommates in college thought I was weird when I'd eat a spoonful of peanut butter as a treat.

My favorite peanut butter is Jif Creamy. Every once in awhile I try chunky, and it's not all bad, it's just not my favorite. Plus, Princess Sparkley loves peanuts and insisted once that we try Jif Extra Crunchy which she hated and I had to eat all of. I haven't fully recovered from that much crunchiness in my peanut butter and will only eat creamy peanut butter for the next bit.

In high school my best friend's mom was one of those moms that always made the yummiest cookies, fudges and baked goods. She did her grocery shopping every Friday after work. One of those people. Sort of the epitome of a homemaker to me. My family took them a plate of my dad's cookies one Christmas and they were all flabbergasted by how yummy the peanut butter cookies were. We finally figured out it must be the peanut butter, so she converted to Jif peanut butter right there and then.

Here's my dad's peanut butter cookie recipe, I'll share a new favorite later on:

Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp soda
1/8 tsp salt

Directions:
Thoroughly cream butter, peanut butter, sugars, egg and vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients; blend into creamy mixture. Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in granulated sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Criss cross with fork tines or imprint with a potato masher.

Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

2 comments:

wendys said...

I love peanut butter cookies that don't call for shortening as an ingredient. I will have to write this recipe down!

Rae said...

I love to eat a spoonful of pb! Or scoop some out with a pretzel twist. Yum. Creamy Jif is my favorite too. Afterall, "Choosy Moms Choose Jif"!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...