"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, June 27, 2008

Recipe for a 4th of July side dish

Last year I shared my two favorite 4th of July dessert recipes with you. Here's a great side dish for your BBQ.

For those of you from my hometown, this is supposed to be a lot like the coleslaw at Wood's Ranch BBQ and Grill. I got this recipe from my brother-in-law and it's very likely that he came home from eating their coleslaw and figured out how to make it. He's like that.

Coleslaw

The salad:

1 head cabbage, shredded

2 carrots, shredded

1/4 C dry roasted or honey roasted peanuts

The dressing:

3/8 C Rice vinegar

1 tsp celery seeds

1 tsp dry mustard

1/4 C vegetable oil

1 tsp salt

3 single serving packages of Splenda*

1/4 tsp black pepper

Wait to mix the salad until you are ready to eat because the cabbage breaks down the potency of the salad dressing. Add the nuts when you toss the salad.


*My brother-in-law is diabetic, you could probably use regular sugar as well.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I worked there for a few months before I went to school. It was when they first opened in Camararillo. They had some good food!! What was the name of the restaurant before they took it over? It was a fancy place wasn't it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...