"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Peanut Butter + Chocolate + me = BFF

It's no secret that I'm a bit obsessed with chocolate and peanut butter. I'm even starting to get a bit nervous because the last two times I've been grocery shopping, the store hasn't had the big bag of Peanut Butter M&Ms. Please please tell me they haven't discontinued them or something crazy. I'd need to start stocking up on enough to last me the rest of my life. I LOVE Peanut Butter M&Ms. LOVE THEM. But this isn't why I'm writing.

My husband is also a fan of peanut butter and chocolate desserts. I tend to make him something of that variety for his birthday, our anniversary, Father's day, Valentine's Day or well, just because we're both big fans of such desserts. I saw this cake on Bakerella's site. Then I saw this on the box of the brownie mix I just made (and am thinking of melting peanut butter on top of). And this. And this one has been on my list of desserts to make for a long time. That all reminded me of these two recipes I have to share with you all.

This is the first, from KraftFoods.com. I made it about a year ago. It was pretty easy, just make sure you have fridge space for it. And the chocolate covered peanut clusters were super easy to make and really really yummy.

The second might just be my favorite ever... for right now.

Peanut Butter Brownies


INGREDIENTS

  • 1-1/2 cups butter, divided
  • 3/4 cup baking cocoa, divided
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 jar (18 ounces) chunky peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 10 large marshmallows
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS

In a small saucepan, melt 1 cup butter; stir in 1/2 cup cocoa until smooth. Remove from the heat. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until blended. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Beat in cocoa mixture.
Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 3-4 minutes on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, place peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 2 minutes, stirring once. Stir until peanut butter is blended. Spread peanut butter over warm brownies. Refrigerate for 45 minutes or until peanut butter is set.
In a heavy saucepan, combine the milk, remaining cocoa, marshmallows and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter and marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over peanut butter layer. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Cut into squares. Yield: 4 dozen.

I even made these in little heart shaped pans for Valentine's Day once and just drizzled the top two layers over the brownie and the plate. Easier, and very romantic. :)

4 comments:

Erin said...

Those look so decadent and delicious. Now I am really craving some pb and choc. But I am not sure if I have the patience for those recpes. Have you tried making peanut butter truffles? So easy and delicious....

Nance said...

I've never made pb truffles. You'll have to send me your recipe.

Jamie said...

Oh my goodness, those look good. I am addicted to Haagen Daaz's Chocolate and peanut butter. Have you had that? I always go through and pick out all the peanut butter and then Jake gets sad. I can't help it. Speaking of the Large m&m bag, have you noticed that companies such as Breyers and Dreyers are shrinking their product but it's costing the same? Hmmmm. Didn't that happen to the cadbury egg too? I guess this has been happening since forever, but it irks me to no end.

julie said...

I, too, am a HUGE PB & Chocolate fan. This recipe looks delectable. But it makes a lot, so I'll have to wait for a chance to make it for a group of people. Otherwise, I could eat the whole pan myself, and that would spell trouble on my hips. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...