"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Long or short?


*

Basically, I feel like my entire life I've had short hair. In reality, what I've had is this in between length it is right now. It was chin length about a year ago, so now it's just past my shoulders and very very annoying.

The problem... I have fine hair. Not thin... thin would mean I'm going bald. I'm not going bald. My hair is just fine. So technically, I should probably have a shorter hair length. But I don't want to. I love it, but I don't love it forever. And I don't ever want to turn into one of those old ladies with a short permed haircut. I can remember being a kid and thinking that's what happened when you turned about fifty, you cut your hair all off and permed it. Then you had that hairstyle until the day you died.

I have my mom's hair, sort of, at least in its fineness. My mom's hair is jet black. Everyone thinks she dyes it because as she gets older and everyone around her has hair turning gray, hers has stayed jet black. Even my brother is suspicious as he finds gray hairs on his own head. But I can testify to you that her hair is not dyed. It's just black. If you look really closely you can see some grays here and there. If you ask me about my hair color, part of me still thinks I'm a blonde even though I haven't been a blonde since first grade. Truthfully, it's quite brown. It's been reddish before, but that was thanks to dye and college roommates. And my husband tells me that it has gotten darker since I've had kids. It's still just my hair. I still picture it dishwater blonde like it was in elementary school.

My dilemma is that every time I chop my hair, it becomes the latest trend to have long hair. And when I grow it long, everyone chops theirs. And let me tell you, those girls in Hollywood have some sort of magic hair growing potion that makes their hair grow an inch overnight.

Here's the big problem. When it's short it ends up growing, hair tends to do that, and I am horrible at getting my hair cut regularly, so it gets to this in between length that I hate. When it's long, I end up wearing it in a ponytail or a bun basically every day, and that gets boring.

So, what should I do? Chop it, grow it out? Grow it out, chop it?

*I realize these are sort of pathetic pictures. On the left is the longest my hair has ever ever been, this is November 2006. The one in the middle is the best example I could find of me with short hair, and as you can see, it's been done by Princess Sparkley. On the right is me, with shortish hair.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so with you on the dilema. Mine is a blah length right now and I know it needs to be shorter. I dream of having a pixie cut, but I think I would have to die/bleach it for it to look good and I've vowed never to do that...

So I say chop it off. I like the picture on the bottom. I also agree that as a stay at home mom, once your hair gets long enough to pull back, that's usually how it will be "styled." So for myself, I know I have to have it shorter so I'm kind of forced to do somthing with it.

Jamie said...

So pretty long like in the family pictures I saw. So cute short too. You can totally do both. I have found that any length is a pain when there are kids to be taken care of. My hair is the longest it's been in years right now. Down to the bottom of my shoulder blades.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...