"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Learning to sew from a pattern: part 3

This is the third and final part of me learning to sew from a pattern. Although I'm sure much more learning will still be happening in this department.


Sewing on the pocket.



The pocket is on.



Adding rick rack.



Wrapping my head around how the rick rack was getting sewn on now, before sewing the two parts together and flipping them was the hardest part. Jed had to help me figure it all out.



Rick rack is on front of apron.



Sewing the two apron parts together.



Just need to iron and sew the top closed.



And it's done.



TA DA!



And the reversible(ness) of it.

Problems:
I didn't quite understand how the rick rack was going to be sewn on or how it would look on the final project (not to mention finding rick rack that matched the colors in my fabric). So, knowing how it worked out now, after the fact, I'd attach the rick rack better. In some spots there's almost none poking through.

The one back tie wasn't lying well due to the rick rack placement where it attached so I had to sew it down a bit more and on the one side, there's a little line of stitching that's not supposed to be there. But it's on the inside side.

While I love the fabric I chose, it was hard to find rick rack to match it. It will also make me paranoid about not clashing with the apron as I'm cooking.


Final Thoughts:
Now I have to have some sort of dinner party so I can wear it, and I don't have room in my kitchen for a dinner party.

Also, now that I've sewn this, I think that this apron, or one made up in my mind, will be much easier to sew in the future.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

looks great!

VAWritingQT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VAWritingQT said...

Congrats on your finished project. I love sewing. By the way, let baby X know his blanket from aunt Kate is coming, I've just been busy with my thesis. I don't want him to think he's going to be left out.

wendys said...

I love your apron. My mom had the same apron pattern at her house! I quickly cut out the pieces while on vacation and now I have to sew it all together.

Rae said...

You did such a great job! Can you come over and teach me how to make one? Pretty please?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...