"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, June 23, 2008

Learning to sew from a pattern: part 1

Making this Skirty Flirty apron has been on my project list since we finally finished Princess Sparkley's school year. I bought the pattern and fabric. I washed the fabric. Then I set it aside for several weeks. Today I decided it's never going to get done so while Baby X takes an exceptionally long nap (yea!!), I got to work.


This is the first time I've ever sewn something from
a pattern that I didn't draw myself for a burp cloth or cape.



I got everything together and set up.



I ironed.



I got it all laid out to cut and had to get online
to see what exactly I was supposed to do.

Then I ran into two problems.
The first, I cut a size small when I wanted to cut a size medium. Oh well, it should still work for me.
The second, I bought the wrong lengths of the wrong fabrics. I want the brown fabric to be the main fabric, and the sort of cream, paisley polka dot fabric to be the accent fabric. But I bought the amounts in reverse of that. So now that Baby X is awake and hollering for me, I'll feed him a bottle and then we are off to the store to see if we can still get a little bit more of the fabric I want, or else I guess I'll have to do with what I have.

Stay tuned for more in the exciting world of me learning to sew.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...