"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Canning

image from www.jamprints.com

I'm so proud of myself. I made jam following this recipe on Make and Takes, which is basically the recipe inside the Sure Jell box. I've always liked the idea of making jam. I think because I like the way a Mason jar looks. (Of course I didn't use Mason jars, I used plastic Ziploc containers). Plus I like the idea of a cellar (or in modern days, a basement) full of food. That stems from two things. 1) the Disney book "Button Soup" and 2) my great-aunt Nelda's awesome garden and cellar that I can vaguely remember being sent down into for pickles or tomatoes or something once when I was a kid.



So I made strawberry freezer jam. It was SUPER easy. I've had it on bread (last night to try it out) and on a PB & J sandwich for lunch today. I talked my kids into telling me it was the yummiest jam ever. (Buddy agreed, Princess Sparkley had to be persuaded since there were a lot of seeds). And now I'm trying to figure into my day making homemade rolls to eat it on later tonight. Plus I'm making all sorts of plans for more jams. Strawberry-Blueberry, Peach-raspberry, etc.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

I love to can and freeze! I made some blueberry jam a few days ago and during the weekend I made 5 containers of freezer slaw. You have a great blog!

Rae said...

What a fabulous job! The one time I attempted to make jam it didn't turn out. That was probably 4 years ago. Maybe it's time to try again.

Erin said...

peach raspberry sounds so good!! I have only tried strawberry and raspberry for freezer jam. I bet peach would be wonderful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...