"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

S'Mores


picture scanned in from The Pampered Chef Delightful Desserts cookbook

I like the idea of the S'more, but even while out camping, I usually just end up eating the toasted marshmallows without the graham crackers and chocolate because let's face it, has anyone ever had a successful S'more experience? My chocolate never melts. The odd shape of the marshmallows forces the graham cracker to break in weird spots, and usually the marshmallow catches on fire and I like mine lightly toasted, not charred. And the indoor S'more ... Jamie summed it up pretty well in this post. So I bring this recipe to you in hopes of filling your summertime need to eat S'mores.

S'Mores Galore
a The Pampered Chef recipe
Ingredients:
20 whole honey graham crackers, divided
6 bars (1.55 oz. each) milk chocolate candy, coarsely chopped
1 package (16 oz.) mini marshmallows, divided
6 TBSP butter, divided
3 TBSP milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange a single layer of graham crackers (breaking them when necessary to fit) to completely cover the bottom of pan.* Toast in oven for 2 minutes.

Coarsely break remaining graham crackers into large bowl; set aside. Coarsely chop chocolate bars; set aside.

Combine 3 cups of the marshmallows, 3 TBSP butter, and milk into a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Add half of the chopped chocolate; stir until chocolate is melted. Spread evenly over graham crackers.

Melt remaining 3 TBSP butter; toss with broken graham crackers. Add remaining marshmallows and chopped chocolate; toss lightly. Spoon evenly over mixture in pan. Bake 8-10 minutes or until marshmallows are lightly browned. Cool 15 minutes.

Cut into bars using a knife dipped in hot water. Serve warm or cold. Best when eaten the same day, but can store in an airtight container.


*since it's a Pampered Chef recipe, it of course lists which of their products to use. They make this recipe in their Stoneware Bar Pan which is about 10 x 15.5 inches and has sides. You can make it in a 9x13 casserole dish, or a sheet cake pan, you'll just have to adjust the number of graham crackers you use to however many cover the bottom of the pan.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

You know what? This looks so much better than that Golden Graham Indoor Smore recipe. I tried that once and I was pretty disappointed. Jake and I have been craving smores lately and since we aren't going camping anytime soon, I think I will make these! Thanks.

Rae said...

Gracious! Those look amazing!! I had every intention of firing up the chiminea over the weekend so we could make s'mores but to be honest after we came home from our different events we were all too exhausted to be bothered. I think this is a great solution. Can't wait to give them a whirl!

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Jamie said...

Okay. We made these today. I made an entire cookie sheet with the sides. They are really, really good. The only problem is that I think I should've sprayed the pan. That thing is going to be a pain to clean. Also, I think I'm going to have to use more butter next time because it didn't coat the topping of marshmallows very well. So they are a little more chewey. I don't know if that's a butter issue or not. Or I wonder if broiling it barely to brown the marshmallows would work better because mine sort of melted. Not a big enough deal to not make them again though! they are so good!

Nance said...

Jamie-
Mine didn't turn out so messy on the pan? I do have the stoneware bar pan since in a past life I was a Pampered Chef consultant for a very brief period of time, but I also haven't tried to wash it yet as it's still half full. It seems like it'll come right off with hot water.

Also, I only baked it for between 6-8 minutes. And it was perfect, marshmallow wise. Everything was melty, marshmallows were puffy and some were lightly toasted. But my kids did complain the whole time that we weren't eating them outside and they weren't "real" S'mores. AND, my son calls them "fores" unless we correct him and then they are "SSSSSSS MORES."

andrea said...

I just stumbled across this when I was looking for a picture of the recipe (I'm making it tonight for a Labor Day weekend camping trip) - Glad you had success with them! I usually do another Pampered Chef recipe - S'more cups - that is easy and delicious, so figured I would share it! http://www.pamperedchef.com/recipe_search/recipe.jsp?id=91599

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...