"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Making Banana Pancakes


image from www.Marrder.com

I hate green bananas. I like my bananas almost too ripe, just before they start getting the brown spots when they are still very yellow. So bananas around my house tend to ripen very quickly if I buy them in that barely green stage and then they get ignored for a bit. I try not to waste them, but I can only make banana bread so often. And I haven't yet found a banana bread recipe that I absolutely love. (Please send me your recipe if you've got a great one.)

While Google image searching for a picture of bananas, I came across a bunch (HA!) of banana recipes that looked tasty and may have to try out as well. I also learned that I can stick them in the freezer until I am ready to bake. Here are the recipes:
Mad about Banana Muffins
Vanana Cookies (Vegan Banana Peanut Butter Cocoa Cookies)
Chocolate Banana Nut Bread
Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Peanutty Banana Brownie Pizza (I've made this... Yummy yummy!)

Then there's my favorite milkshake/smoothie that I like to call the purple cow (which I thought I got from here, but they call their's "The Purple Banana," so I don't know where I got it from.)
It's just vanilla ice cream, milk, blueberries, strawberries, and a banana blended together. Yum.

Back on topic... Banana pancakes. That's why we're here. I came across the following recipe the other day in a cookbook of recipes gathered from the women at church when we lived in California and plan to try it out tonight.

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs, beaten
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2-3 large bananas mashed

Directions:
Microwave butter in milk until melted. Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Lightly grease heated griddle. Makes about 18 (4 inch) pancakes.

*Later tonight- I've now made these and they were yummy. The adults really enjoyed them, the kids... just sort of. I think they enjoy regular pancakes better. Buddy ate all his but when I tried to give him more since he always eats a ton of pancakes he said he didn't want more because he wanted to be the first one done. Princess Sparkley isn't big on fruit, so she didn't like the gooey banana bits. Next time I might add pinch of cinnamon, or sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top for the kiddos.

5 comments:

Erin said...

This recipe is very timely since I have a lot of bananas to use up. I bought a ton of them at Checkers on Tuesday and I am dehydrating some right now. But I couldn't stand slicing anymore up so I still have a bunch. I would be curious to hear how the pancakes turn out as the recipe seems to have a lot of butter. I do usually freeze over ripe bananas (peeled in a ziploc) since I usually don't have enough overripe at the same time to make banana bread. Seems to work great.

Jenni foo foo said...

oooooh I'm always looking for good recipes thanks!
And I feel so honored- I'm on your people you wish you knew list! :)

Erin said...

BTW in my family a "purple cow" was grape juice and milk mixed together. It is kinda gross, but a pretty color and a cool name.

Nance said...

Erin- I read about you version of purple cows when I tried to figure out why I call my version a purple cow. It seems like something only a kid could really enjoy.

Jake said...

I always knew the purple cow as vanilla ice cream with grape juice as a shake, but I like how your purple cow sounds. It seems like a lot of people love banana cookies with frosting. I tried them once and didn't think they were all that great. They seemed so bland. Could've been the particular recipe. I found a banana bread recipe that I LOVE. I think I blogged it. I think what makes it so good, which you could do with any banana bread recipe is after you grease the bread pans, you coat the bottom and sides with granulated sugar. Then after it's done baking, there's this nice crunchy sugary coating all over the banana bread. I think it's so good! And I like that it uses 6 bananas (the more the better) and butter instead of shortening.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...