"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fruits and Nuts



I don't like fruits and nuts in most anything. In fact, I don't so much like nuts at all. I'm okay with chocolate covered raisins. I'm okay with peanuts, but don't stick them in an M&M. So when a friend recently tried out this recipe and gave me some I was wary. Luckily, along with the description of fruits and nuts, she also mentioned cream cheese and white chocolate, or I might not have tried it. I got the recipe from her and even while making it I kept thinking to myself, "this is so gross, there's no way I'm going to like this. Craisins! Eww." Then I licked the spatula before refrigerating everything. Yummm!!! So, the lesson learned, don't judge a book by its cover. Or a treat by its ingredients.

Jim's Best Candy Recipe

from the Tightwad Gazette

Ingredients:
1/3 c sugar
1/4 c light cream
1/4 c butter
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 c sifted powdered sugar
1 c chopped mixed dried fruits
1/2 c chopped nuts
1/2 vanilla
1 1/2 lbs white dipping chocolate


Directions:

Line an 8"x8"x2" baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Butter the foil and set the pan aside.

In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine the sugar, light cream, and the 1/4 c butter or margarine. Cook over medium heat to boiling, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. 8 minutes.

Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Remove pan from heat. Add cream cheese; stir until smooth. Add powdered sugar, dried fruits, nuts and vanilla; stir until well combined. Spread mixture into prepared pan. Chill about 1 hour, or until firm. When firm, lift foil to remove candy from pan; cut candy into 2"x1" rectangles.

Melt the dipping chocolate. Carefully dip the rectangles into the melted chocolate. Let excess drip off rectangles. Place dipped rectangles on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper until dry. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.



*I used dried cranberries and pecans as my fruits and nuts. I also used those giant flattened chocolate chip looking white melting discs for candy making as my white chocolate. And I wouldn't use as much as it called for. Maybe just one bag (14 oz). And I'd cut the pieces smaller next time, they are pretty rich.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

mmmm. that sounds good

Marie said...

I sooooo know what you mean. I am NOT a fruit or nut girl. I can't eat ice cream or fudge or cookies with those things in them. But I am intrigued by this recipe. I will have to give it a try. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...