"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Potty Training Tips



Ha! The tile of this post fooled you. You thought you were going to get a peek at all of my great potty training wisdom. You were wrong. I need YOUR help. Buddy is almost four years old* and has pooped in the potty (sort of- see above picture) three times in his entire life. He does okay peeing in the potty, if I remind him. But he's in a pull-up most of the time because I'm tired of cleaning undies he's pooped in. He assures me that he doesn't know when it's happening, but goes in a corner to take care of business. We've tried EVERYTHING! Stickers, treats, rewards, "Buddy" Day, parades, promises of toys, a new pillow case made out of the race car fabric at the store that he loves**, a frozen custard sundae from Sheridan's, etc. Nothing works. I need your help.


*As a side note, Buddy had delayed speech, and my husband has read that there is a connection between kids with delayed speech and late potty training.

**The kid is seriously obsessed with fabric, he threw a huge fit last time I took him fabric shopping because I didn't buy him the race car fabric he wanted. But I was strong, I didn't give into the screaming fit (he's not usually a fit thrower, especially in public) and he's been promised this fabric once he's regularly pooping in the potty.

8 comments:

Cristin said...

Nancy - Let's pretend that is a picture of a wet Snickers bar and that you didn't just post a picture of your kid's POOP!! YUCK.

Luke has a friend who is almost 4 and also not potty trained. I think it's way more common than people think.

Nance said...

my kids LOVE this picture.

i needed to add some excitement and controversy to the blog. :)

Erin said...

Sometimes it helps to have the reward (ex. the fabric) up in the top of the closet waiting for their success. It is more tangible that way and reminds them of their goal. Promises of rewards from stores etc, were a little too distant and vague for my kids. Ethan is 4 1/2 and he still wets his pants a couple times a week. And that is a huge improvement. I say, just hope that is all done by Kindergarten.

AshbyFamily said...

Nice poop! I am trying to potty train my boy too - it sucks! The library has some potty training videos you can borrow. One even has a song called "Super Duper Pooper!" (But you already have one of those)

Cristin said...

True - that is a very exciting and controversial picture. Erik will probably really like it.

wendys said...

That is the nastiest picture I've ever seen! I don't have any great advice. We potty trained our boy at 2 1/2 and we've had the occasional accident since then but he's done great for the past year. We never did pullups, just the straight to underwear method which worked for him. I'm also really good at reading his body language, I can tell when he's holding in poo or pee and "gently" remind him to hustle to the bathroom. I wish you much luck.

Nance said...

We've tried the underwear method rather than pull ups, but he just poops in them. And that is much messier to clean up, so I've gone back to pull ups.

By three my daughter was potty trained and my 3 1/2 she didn't even need a pull up at night. She also must have a bladder the size of a watermelon.

An early on potty reward were some trains from Thomas the Tank Engine that stayed in their special box at our house waiting to be earned. One was earned for peeing forever ago. The other was earned for pooping, one of three (sort of) times of pooping in the potty.

VAWritingQT said...

Are you giving him any kind of attention when he doesn't make it to the potty in time? Even a "Why didn't you go to the potty?" or a "You're supposed to do that in the potty" comment can give attention he may be seeking. I can send you some journal articles on the subject, but I am a applied behavior analysist working with teenage boys with autism who still have urinary and bowel accidents, so the articles may not be as interesting or applicable to your situation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...