"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My love hate relationship with the Internet

Since I'm an expert (read: amateur) blogger, I've been asked to help teach a Relief Society mini Enrichment on blogging. That being said, I've been reading up on internet and more specifically, blogging safety and have decided to ask all of you that have my last name listed in your links to please remove it. I searched for myself on whitepages.com last night and was surprised when my address actually appeared. We've always been unlisted and have never shown up online in the past. And I'm a paranoid person... hence the fact that my kids are named under pseudonyms and I'm in the process of trying to make up a name to refer to my husband and myself rather than our first names. Thanks.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Do you think that it makes any difference my blog is private (invitation only)? So there wouldn't be any strangers blog hopping over to yours right? I am happy to remove the links, but it is just so convenient for checking your blog! I am looking forward to your class. :)

wendys said...

I don't even know your married last name... My blog is really unsafe for me because the actual web address is my full name! What was I thinking? I'm not sure what to do about it because I don't want to change names and lose any readers. Good luck with your enrichment class.

Nance said...

Erin- you should be okay since yours is private... and you wouldn't have to remove the links, just the last name.

Wendy - I have another blog, a family blog that used to have my last name in it's title and web address. When I switched I lost all of my history, but my friend Rachel just changed her address and didn't lose anything. I think one of the maintaining your blog pages allows you to change your URL. But yeah, you'd have to make sure your readers all followed you over.

Erin said...

I get it. I will remove the last name. I guess i didn't read too carefully....

Jamie said...

I have such issues with this. When I first started blogging, I was just jamie. Not from anywhere or anything. Then when people started reading my blog, they put my last name and even if they've deleted it, it's still out there, you know? I've thought about making it private, but I know a lot of people don't like to sign in. Still thinking about it all. . .

Rachel said...

If you go to Customize, then Settings, then Publishing on your blog, you can change your blog address without losing any history. I think it's worth it. N, sorry I'm going to miss your class! Maybe you could post some of the highlights?

AshbyFamily said...

I think you should call your hubby "Buster". :)

Please post highlights from your class.

Cristin said...

I used to find people for a living. It is surprisingly easy to go to a few sites, type in someone's name and find out all their info - unlisted or not. You can even find out social security numbers and lists of all of their assets. I was discussing this with my sis-in-law this week and we both agreed that if someone is going to get you, they're going to get you. Probably a bad way to look at it - but, there it is.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...