"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Saturday, March 22, 2008

My apologies to Mr. Grisham

I'm not one to start a book and not finish it. There are probably only a handful of books (not school assigned) that I haven't finished once I've started them. I've just added another book to that list - The Appeal by John Grisham. It's not that the book is bad. It's just that I'm a sleepy person as of late and it's moving too slowly to keep my interest. And I'm a fan of Mr. Grisham's books, so I've read them all, but after awhile, they seem to all have the same basic plot. And the titles... don't even get me started with the titles. The Firm, The Testament, The Client, The Appeal, etc. I couldn't tell you what anyone book is about because they basically all have the same title. I hope that it is the publisher that thought these titles were clever, and not Mr. Grisham himself. Plus, this book, it seems an awful lot like Erin Brockovich, which I never saw all of, but I saw enough about it, and a small part of the actual movie on tv once. So, I've retired this book... for now. I plan to finish it... someday. I've already put in about 104 pages worth of reading time. But the newest Lisa Scottoline book just became available for me at the library, and as a new release it's a two week check out. So my apologies Mr. Grisham, I'm putting one writer of legal thrillers aside in favor of the other.

2 comments:

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

I don't have much experience with John Grisham books, but here's what I do have.
I read "The Last Juror," mainly because it was a three-word-title, which made me think maybe John Grisham was losing his mind, which would really crazy up the text. Instead, I found that he wrote 200 pages, got bored, and decided, "Um, this random guy from town is the murderer."
I listened to "The Brethren" on tape while I drove a truck full of stuff from Los Angeles to Kansas, and I finished it somewhere around Albuquerque. About halfway through that book the main character goes missing in mysterious circumstances. I spent the rest of the book waiting for him to return. He never did. He was just dead. The whole time.
Plus, I find every John Grisham book (or John Grisham movie) leaves me thinking, "Yeah, stick it to the--wait, you're a criminal."

Jamie said...

I want to know what you thought of "austenland". I didn't think it was all that spectacular at all, but I would like to know your expert opinion.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...