"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Laundry



Just up the street from our home is a dry cleaning store. They have a sign in their window for "Fold 'N Go" laundry services at 69 cents per pound. This always makes me think of rich people who live in New York City. It seems as though those are the only people who would pay to have all of their laundry done for them in this manner. It intrigues me and every time I see the sign I make a mental note to weigh my laundry basket next time it is full. I finally remembered. My laundry, basket included, weighed 22 pounds. So it would cost me $15.18 to have it washed, dried and folded. At times, that would almost be worth it. Except that it wasn't even a very full basket of laundry, it's been much worse. And I can only imagine how much my basket of laundry weighed in college... when I only did laundry because I'd run out of clean underwear. My best friend/roommate would resort to bathing suits to hold off the laundry washing a couple more days, I think I even bought more underwear once. I lived half a block from the Wash Hut in Provo, but would drive my laundry basket over due to the largeness and heaviness of it. There was no way I could walk down the street carrying it. Especially due the the fullness of the basket and the high likelihood that underwear would fall out on the sidewalk somewhere between my house and the laundromat. Would you EVER consider paying to have your laundry done for you? Rich or not so rich?

12 comments:

wendys said...

I would never have anybody do my laundry for me! It's such a personal thing! Between 11-12 years old I started doing my own laundry separate from the family's because I hated to think that they would see my underwear! I'm hoping that my kids get the same sort of consciousness soon and then I'll never have to do their laundry again.

AshbyFamily said...

Heck ya! But the service would have to include putting it away in the drawers too.

I don't mind doing the laundry, it's the putting it away part that I hate.

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

First of all, stop blogging and get back to doing the laundry!
Second of all, I lived at 57 W. and STILL used the Wash Hut, walking there with my laundry bag slung over my shoulder, the cord cutting off circulation to my hand. (Erik can verify this.) I used Wash Hut because I could drink root beer by the bottle and play Galaga while I waited.
Third of all, it's sort of amazing we didn't run into each other more often in Provo.

Cristin said...

We also used the Wash Hut after we were married, and yes I would pay someone to do everything except my underwear. I wish we had a place that charged per the pound here. I would be really tempted to use my "fun money" on it.

VAWritingQT said...

I have often thought of paying to have my laundry done, especially since I live at a place with no laundry services. I did the wash-a-teria thing on my mission and I've done it here now for six months, and it's just too much. I have even looked on craigslist for portable washers and dryers that I could use in my apartment, but have been able to afford one yet. I am also looking for a portable dishwasher. Have you see a dish-o-mat any where?

Chris said...

I have totally used this service before. It is awesome. You drop off your dirty clothes and voila! Clean clothes later that day! The place I used was in New Hampshire and only 39 cents a pound. Totally worth it!!

Nance said...

brandon- it is sort of amazing that we ran into each other as little as we did in provo. especially since besides doing laundry at the wash hut (even if rather infrequently), if they were ever out of root beer in a bottle, it's because we hit them up for root beer on a regular basis just because and i stopped there all the time on my way home from classes to buy drinks as well.

chris- funny you've used a service like this because everytime i see the sign, i think of you. i don't know if it's because you're from ny or because it seems like a chris thing. funny.

Nance said...

kate - we had a portable washer for awhile at the house i lived in down the street from the wash hut. i didn't even know they existed before that. have you tried freecycle?

Alegna said...

I think I figured how to comment!

Alegna said...

Yippee! I'm back! OF COURSE I would use laundry service. If I was pinched for money then I would only give them my socks. I hate the socks. I like folding though because it gives an excuse to watch tv. Also do you remember when I had that job in the smith field house where I had to do huge amounts of the athlete's laundry? That was so nice of you to let me drive your car. And thanks for totally blowing my swimsuit method...I was desperate.

Nance said...

alegna- welcome back.

and i didn't say WHO wore a bathing suit instead of doing laundry. you gave yourself away. :)

wendys said...

I guessed it was alegna wearing the bathing suit, but I wasn't going to say anything!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...