"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, March 07, 2008

Chocolate Caramel Oatmeal Chews

*

I'm thinking of making up a batch of these right now because I LURVE them. Plus, I like to think of them as a breakfast bar due to the oatmeal content. Sort of like an oatmeal raisin cookie is breakfast. :)

Chocolate Caramel** Oatmeal Chews

a Pampered Chef Recipe

Ingredients:

2 cup quick or old fashioned oats

1 ¾ cups flour, divided

¾ cups packed brown sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup butter, melted

1 cup butterscotch caramel ice cream topping

½ cup chopped pecans

1 (6 oz.) pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips

vanilla ice cream

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Combine oats, 1 ½ cups flour, brown sugar and baking soda. Add butter and mix until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of this crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 baker. Bake 15 minutes

Combine ice cream topping and ¼ cup flour. Whisk together until smooth. Drizzle over the crust. Then spread to edges.

Combine the reserved crumb mixture and pecans in a bowl. Sprinkle this and chocolate chips evenly over the caramel mixture and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, cool completely and cut into bars.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.



*Isn't it convenient when someone else has taken a picture of the exact recipe I'm planning to make and posted it on the internet for me?


**Where do you stand on the pronunciation of caramel? Is it carAmel or carmel? Does it matter?

5 comments:

Cristin said...

My first thought when I clicked on your blog - Are those chocolate chews is it another picture of poop? JuST KIDDING, they don't look like poop, but now that I know you'll post pictures of that, I squint every time I load up your blog.

Rachel said...

Um, YUM.

Lisa said...

How did nobody answer your caramel question? For me, the chewy stuff is carmel and the oozy stuff if caramel. And I really should NOT be going through your recipes since I don't have access to some ingredients in nearly every recipe. In this one it's the caramel sauce (and no SS chocolate chips, but I could sub dark chocolate, although it's not the same...)

Nance said...

Lisa- maybe this will work for you... I've made this French Toast recipe (link at bottom) and the caramel sauce is very similar. You'll have to experiment and let me know how it goes. Although maybe you don't have light corn syrup there. When I was in college I lived in London for two months and couldn't believe there were not chocolate chips (at least none that I could find).

Caramel Sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup

To make the Caramel Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter and 1 tablespoon corn syrup. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.

This is from:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oven
-Baked-Caramel-French-Toast/Detail.
aspx

Lisa said...

I just realized I hadn't come back to tell you how it went. I have made a similar french toast recipe (yum!). But I decided to use the recipe for the topping of the carmel cake I have listed in my sidebar that I love so much.

Unfortunately you couldn't even taste the caramel at all (it's super carmely on the cake, but maybe not strong enough for this dessert)and it was not worth the effort of making the carmel separately. As I made them I realized that it is almost exactly the same recipe I make only with sweetened condensed milk! Funny. So unfortunately it wasn't such a hit (but of course we all still liked it!), but I have to say I am very grateful because the day I made it I had just started a "no sweets during the day" thing and the next day it was easier than it would have been for me to keep from sneaking some before dessert. But I thank you for the recipe and the carmel suggestion. It probably would have been better if I had tried it your way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...