"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Switching Roles

Something that I found interesting about our week's stay in the hospital, I became secondary to Baby X. I mean, in normal settings, I'm Nancy and he's the new baby. Everyone wants to peek at him and hold him. But he's still just "Nancy's new baby." At the hospital, I was no longer Nancy. I was Mom. The nurses called me Mom. The doctors called me Mom. When I called to order my free meals* I was Baby X's mom. I could hear the nurses at their nurse station talking about Baby X - by name. It was sort of strange since I wasn't quite used to him being around yet and having a name and then all of a sudden everyone was using his name. Which it seems doesn't happen so quickly with normal, non-sick kids. They are baby until they finally start functioning like a person. It's like the first time you take your new baby to the doctor's office and the nurse comes out and calls out his/her name and all of a sudden you realize that they mean your baby. It was just sort of weird and fun for me to experience this role reversal. I became the one with no name, or whose name was of no importance and the baby became a person.


*Breast feeding moms got free hospital meals. Which, while it was hospital food, it wasn't all bad because it was a children's hospital. I got to order watermelon slushies, grilled cheese sandwiches, soft pretzels with cheese sauce and Oreo milkshakes.

3 comments:

AshbyFamily said...

I'm so glad that everything went well with the surgery and recovery. Now hopefully life can get back to "normal" -whatever that is with a newborn.

Watermelon slushies sound really good!

Nance said...

I was a little disappointed with the watermelon slushie and was going to try the tangerine slushie next, but I never got around to it.

Cristin said...

I'm really glad that for your sake the food was good. That's funny how they only offer it to breastfeeding moms. If you weren't breastfeeding, it's not like they would have fed it to Baby X.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...