"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, February 04, 2008

The Story of Baby X's Birth


My husband's drawing of encouragement.


Here's the long awaited, short version, of Baby X's birth story. As we all know, he was due January 22. On January 24 I had a doctor's appointment and she stripped my membranes, for the second time. This time, it actually felt like she'd done something. But it wasn't instantaneous labor like it was with Buddy. And, she'd scheduled me for an induction the following Wednesday (totally bad for our schedules) if I hadn't given birth yet.

My husband told me that night that if the baby wasn't born by 10, he wouldn't love it. He was tired, having woken up at 4:30 that morning to do homework before school. Around ten he called his friend Erik to inquire about how Red Box movies work (I told him to do this because his other option was he was going to go to Walmart and buy a movie, just because he was bored). So while I read Rules, and my husband chatted with Erik, I was having some pretty strong contractions. With Buddy I went to the hospital in false labor about a week before he was born. I didn't want to do that again, so I wanted to be sure I was really IN LABOR.

As it neared midnight I realized that this was probably labor. At 1:30 I called my friend who was kind enough to offer to come over and sleep at our house so we didn't have to drag our kids out of bed in the middle of the night. I arrived at the hospital some time around two o'clock. Because Buddy was born only 90 minutes after arriving at the hospital my nice doctor came as soon as the hospital called her, checked me, and then hung out at the nurse's station until this baby was ready to be born. Baby X was born at 4:46 AM. So I was in the hospital almost three hours before Baby X came. So Buddy still holds the record.

Labor was short, but intense. I had to have my water broken during a contraction... that wasn't fun or comfortable. But he arrived without a long labor, I've recovered quickly, and he's mostly healthy (he has a heart murmur we have to go have checked out, but it seems to be benign), so we're happy. And my husband still loves him, even though he was born after ten and when my husband had been awake over 24 hours straight.


6 comments:

AshbyFamily said...

Glad to hear that everything went so well! You are a trooper! Now stop reading and try and get some rest!! :)

Cristin said...

Sounds like it went smoothly. Did you get an epidural? I know you were worried about that. If you didn't get one, it sounds like you handled it well.

Nance said...

no epidural. i had stadol, which, as a drug, makes me noy consider it a "natural" childbirth... but one of the nurses said she'd count it as natural. you feel the pain, you just don't care.

wendys said...

Great job! You make it sound so easy...

Jamie said...

I like how he drew the baby coming out in a speedo and lying in a greasy man pose. I just noticed that.

He is really cute. REALLY cute. Makes me want #3. Hope you are feeling good and the kids are being nice to him.

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

You were very loud. The loudest I've ever heard you during childbirth.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...