"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Critical Aortic Valve Stenosis



Baby X had a heart murmur when he was born. Our doctor and the nurses at the hospital assured me that it was normal and would probably go away after a few days, or would end up being benign. At his doctor's appointment when he was five days old the murmur was still there so his doctor wanted him to have an echocardiogram (basically an ultrasound of his heart). So Friday morning we drove to Kansas City, MO for this imaging of his heart. We didn't get to come home. He was immediately admitted to the hospital. He has critical aortic valve stenosis, basically a narrowing of the aortic valve. Apparently it's pretty serious, but we are really lucky that they diagnosed it when they did as it would get worse in the next weeks as he got more mobile, etc.

My husband explains it more and with links on his blog.

So you may be hearing from me very little. OR... if it turns out I have wireless internet access in his hospital room, you may be hearing from me a lot since I'm getting pretty tired of the Disney Channel (it's a children's hospital, so I get all the kid channels) and TLC.

He'll have a sort of surgery on Tuesday sometime (again, explained in more detail on my husband's blog). So keep him in your prayers. He's a cutie, and other than the poor weight gain, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him. His nurses are in love with him and he seems to be doing great. The doctor's kept asking if I've ever noticed him turn blue, if he seems like he gets tired and worn out when eating, etc. And the answer to all of their questions was no. If it wasn't for his doctor noticing the heart murmur, we wouldn't even know anything was wrong.



4 comments:

Jamie said...

Poor baby! But it's a relief to know that he'll be okay and that it was caught this early on. Liam has a heart murmur. They said it would "take care of itself", but sometimes I think he looks blue. Still! Even now. I loved the medical staff in Kansas City, MO. Maybe it's because I live in Provo where things are similar to communist Russia, but I was impressed with the clinics and hospitals that I went to while we lived there. Good luck with everything and I'll definitely be thinking of you guys and keeping "stoic sam" in my prayers.

I'm also curious to know what you thought of Austenland.

Jo said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved one!

Hatch Building Co. said...

How scary! We'll definitely keep you guys in our prayers. Ironically, Joel will soon be having open heart surgery for the murmor that he was born with (obviously a different kind - but it's still terrifying in a way). I'm glad that they did catch it early - that is a huge blessing...

Lindsay

wendys said...

Good luck with the sort of surgery. I hope everything goes well and you guys can go home soon. Our prayers are with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...