"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Book Report: The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray




The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray is the third (and I believe, final, unless the author keeps deciding to write more and more and more like the Georgia Nicolson series, or the Princess Diaries series, etc.) book in a series that has come to be referred to as The Gemma Doyle Trilogy. The first book is A Great and Terrible Beauty and the second is Rebel Angels.

I read the first book for my (now nearly defunct) online book club. I went into it not realizing that this book was part of a series, not really wanting to be sucked in to another series I had to read all of, and wait and wait for the next book to be published, etc. But I did really enjoy the first book and immediately read the second book, and then had to wait around for the third book to be published.

I've described this book to people as sort of a more grown up, classical, girlie version of the Harry Potter series. It takes place in Victorian England at an all girls boarding school. It involves magic and mystery, love and romance, the England we read about in the Classics, along with the coming of age story that a young adult novel requires.

As much as I did enjoy these books. I do have my complaints. Sometimes it seems as though Gemma, the heroine, was a bit too wimpy, a bit to modernly girlish, and a bit like Harry Potter in the last few books when all he does is wallow in his own differentness, etc. This last book was over 800 pages long, and it seems like most of that 800 pages she wasn't acting, when she needed to be decisive and act right then. That was a bit frustrating.

I am torn about the ending. I won't ruin it for you, but I liked some of the ways it ended and was disappointed in other ways it ended.

For those of you who loved Harry Potter and are looking for your next series to read, or those of you waiting for Stephenie Meyer's next book in the Twilight series to come out, this may be the series for you.

1 comment:

Jo said...

I'd love to keep the book club going, but I'm afraid only you and I are on online anymore :) How's the new baby?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...