"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Snickerdoodles




I love snickerdoodles. They are probably the first cookie I ever made all on my own. You see, in my house, the cookie baker is my dad. And if anyone knows my dad, he's a "if it doesn't involve chocolate, why make it?" sort of guy. So the snickerdoodle recipe I've always used is actually from a Better Homes and Gardens Junior Cookbook.



I've been making these cookies for as long as I can remember. I'm not sure where I was introduced to the snickerdoodle, or even if I had an especially strong affection for them. Maybe I just liked the word "snickerdoodle." This was MY cookie. The ones I made whenever I had to bake cookies for anything. Now that I'm avoiding chocolate due to my insane pregnancy belief that it's what's causing my heartburn, I'm breaking out my classic, non-chocolate dessert recipes. Enjoy.

Snickerdoodles

Ingredients:

1½ cups sugar

1 cup butter

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

4 TBSP sugar

4 TBSP ground cinnamon


Directions:

In a large mixing bowl cream the 1½ cups sugar and the butter. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In small bowl stir together flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Stir into butter mixture until well mixed. In the same small bowl combine the tablespoons sugar and cinnamon. Shape dough into 1-inch balls*; roll each into the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Put balls 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 375°. Makes about 36.

*if the dough is too sticky to mold into a ball, refrigerate it for a bit.


4 comments:

Jo said...

I too love snickerdoodles, but ever since this stupid disease, I can't eat them. Can you figure out how to make them with rice flour? :)

Nance said...

I like crazy internet searches... so here's what I've found about making snickerdoodles for people with wheat allergies, celiac disease, etc. You'll have to be the judge of whether or not you're allowed to eat them or not.

http://community.livejournal.com/
vegancooking/2444870.html

http://www.celiac.com/articles/482
/1/Roben-Ryberg039s-Snickerdoodles-
Gluten-Free/Page1.html

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/
lofiversion/index.php/t30407.html

Jamie said...

Oh my gosh 5 days

I left you a comment in response to the fudge. I just said you have to refrigerate it and it should get really firm, etc. if you did refrigerate it and it didn't firm up? Then I don't know what to say. Let me know what happened.

Rachel said...

YUM YUM YUM. I'm doing the "no partially-hydrogenated oils, no corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup, no sugar, no bleached or enriched flour" thing.... Maybe I can figure out how to make them with whole wheat flour and sucanat? I LOVE snickerdoodles.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...