"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Self Image

Does anyone really have an accurate image in their mind about how they appear to others?

A new woman just moved into our neighborhood with three kids. Her oldest is my son's age, 3 1/2 going on 4. Without really thinking about it, I assumed she was older than me. I guess she just seemed more mature or something. Then all of a sudden it hit me last night that my daughter is older than her oldest, and possibly, that could indicate that I am older than she is.

I always think this way. It's like my brother-in-law always reminds me, in his mind I'm still the 14 year old kid he first met when he was engaged to my sister. In his mind I'm 14. In my mind, I'm probably about 22. So why did I stop letting myself "age" over the past 7 years?

Along the same line, today I saw a picture of a girl I grew up with that I haven't seen in 8 or 9 years. She is married, has a bunch of kids and looks like a grown-up. If I didn't know who it was or exactly how old she was, I would probably figure she was much older than I am.

Is it me, or does everyone think this way about themselves?

3 comments:

wendys said...

I totally get what you are saying. In my mind I am 21 or 22. I think everyone is or should be older than me. I try to relate to the young people on tv until I realize I'm like 10 years older than they are! It's kind of weird.

Rachel said...

This is so funny. I have a couple of friends from high school who honestly look like they did the day we graduated. I wonder, "Do I still look like I did when I graduated?" In a way, I sort of hope not. But mostly I think it's because I look better now than I did then. But these girls seriously haven't aged bit. It's weird.

I did a photo shoot of a newborn on Saturday. The mom was seriously like 20. I thought, "I'm ancient". It wasn't a good thought.

Cristin Lassen said...

I also think I'm 20 in my mind. So untrue, especially when someone calls me ma'am and it pounds in the fact that I am borderline 30.

I got a ward list on Sunday with everyone's ages on it. What an eye opener! Lots of the people I thought were older than me, were younger than me! So either they look old or I have self image issues. I think I have self image issues.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...