"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Pile of Books

When my kids were newborns, the only way I kept my sanity having to wake up in the middle of the night was books. Mainly books by Lisa Scottoline aka the female John Grisham. Her language is a bit harsh, but so is Grisham's, isn't it? But her books made it so I was looking forward to the baby crying at 2 AM or 4 AM because I'd get to read for another 30 minutes or so. I wanted to get up. I know, crazy. But her books are all so suspenseful, I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. Under normal circumstances, I'd read a book like that in a day or two. But I knew they'd make me excited to wake up in the middle of the night, so I made them last. Problem... I've read all of her books but one (that seemed too much about sex when I read the description) and one that isn't published for another month!

So I've started stockpiling books from the library. The problem is, some of them are due next week. I better be able to renew them.

Here's the pile so far: (a lot are young adult novels - okay, most ... don't laugh. They are all pretty easy, pretty cheesey reads.)





There's No Place Like Here by Cecelia Ahern


The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray

And those are just the ones I have from the library right now. I'm almost done with Betty Smith's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and am really enjoying it. Then I have these books I got for Christmas:

Finding Daddy by Louise Plummer



Big Boned by Meg Cabot

This one I just bought for 26 cents with the $5 Borders Rewards I earned and a 25% off one item coupon, also from Borders Rewards.


Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins

And this one I may have to go buy with my Borders gift card that I got for Christmas, next time I get a Borders Rewards coupon in my email inbox because I didn't even know it existed until I was looking for pictures for this blog post. Except it looks like it's only in hardcover and I have issues with mixing and matching hardcover and paperback books when they are part of a series, and buying hardcover books at all if I can avoid it.


Queen of Babble in the Big City by Meg Cabot


8 comments:

marta said...

nancy, thanks for the suggestions. i love a good novel, especially the john grisham type. i'll have to add them to my library!

AshbyFamily said...

Wow...I can't even keep my eyes open when I get up with Sara - let alone read. It sounds like a great time though. You have a huge stack of books...watch he will turn out to be a great sleeper!!

wendys said...

I am so happy right now! I read a review about "The sweet far thing" while waiting in a doctors office and wanted to read it but I forgot the title and the author and haven't been able to locate the magagzine it was reviewed in! I'm so glad you posted a picture of it!

I have the "higher power of lucky" which was a good read but I was surprised at the more serious content for children in it. I also have read "criss cross" which took me a little while to get into but was good in the end.

I always watched lame-o tv the first few months I was up with the baby... now I kind of sleep through nursing her.

Nance said...

Wendy- The Sweet Far Thing is number three in a trilogy... so make sure you read the first two first (A Great and Terrible Beauty is #1 and Rebel Angels is #2).

While I'm at it: Love is a many trousered thing, Big Boned and Queen of Bable are also not the first book in their respective series. And some of the Lisa Scottline books are about the same characters, so you might want to check the order on those as well.

Nance said...

And I didn't just read with the newborns. With my first we also had cable so I'd be super excited when the baby woke up at 4:30 because "Charlie's Angels" was on. But if she slept until 5:30 I was stuck watching "The Nanny."

Cristin Lassen said...

Reading is a great idea. When Luke was a newborn, I would also just sit up and watch lame t.v. while I was nursing him, what a waste.

Luke woke up a lot last night because of the pain in his hand and I started thinking about waking with a newborn again and just dreading it. It's crazy how quickly I adapted to waking every 2 hours, and now I am so used to sleeping all night that I hate any disruption. But having a good book to look forward to - great idea!

wendys said...

When I was up nursing my first born, I always caught the show "Bosom Buddies" that weird tom hanks sitcom. It was really odd. And with this one it was either the "Cosby Show" or "Star Trek", neither one a favorite of mine. Occasionally I would leave a favorite movie paused in the dvd player to watch when I woke up!

Thanks for the info about the trilogies!

A Random Stranger said...

Lady, your baby is due in about a week. It might interest you to know that I've set up a betting pool here at work. It goes as follows:
Me: Saturday Jan. 19
Nick: Sunday Jan. 20
Meg: Monday Jan. 21
Shay: Tuesday Jan. 22
Jack: Wednesday Jan. 23
Jeff: Thursday Jan. 24
I didn't tell them about my secret ways of speeding up labor since they all nearly puked when I tried to explain what "efaced" meant.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...