"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Getting Ready




I've finally come to accept the fact (sort of) that pretty soon we'll be bringing a brand new baby home from the hospital and we should probably have a crib and some newborn diapers, etc. We live in a smallish townhome so all of our baby stuff is packed up in a storage unit. We've slowly been gathering baby stuff from our storage unit, discovering what is missing, and going back to hunt it down. Luckily, it's cold and all the spiders are dead.


So far we have a crib. It's even set up, with sheets on and everything (even a bumper, but I think I read that bumpers are out these days,... do you still put babies to sleep on their backs?).

We have an infant carseat - today I found that little upside down U shaped thing that goes around the babies head. It was of course, not with the carseat, but packed up with size 2T baby clothes.

I can only find half of the baby positioner - you know, the two little pillow bars that newborns sleep between. One of our "pillows" is missing.

We got the Boppy pillow out awhile ago, I took it's cover off and washed it. The cover is now no where to be found.

I can't find any of our cloth diapers (that we use as burp cloths). This is especially upsetting because up until very recently, I know they were all on the shelves above my washing machine. And now that I actually need them... where'd they go?? I know I cleaned up above my washer a few months ago, but I have absolutely no recollection of where I could possibly have put the burp clothes. And I have like a billion. And at Target today they were 6 for $10.99. My horrible memory seems to think I used to buy packs of 10 for $9.99.

I've found and washed all of our baby boy clothes, been sad about the 0-3 month short overalls, and other tiny summery outfits this baby won't get to wear, but pleasantly surprised by how many cold weather newborn clothes I had for a baby that was born at the end of April in California.

I bought a pack of newborn diapers. My doctor's prediction that this baby is going to be big made it so I didn't buy two.

I got all of our bottles and my breast pump out of storage. They are currently loaded in the dishwasher, waiting to see if the bottle nipples survived the heat and cold of the storage unit and are usable. I'd forgotten how small newborn bottles were. (Plus, didn't I read somewhere that you aren't supposed to use plastic bottles anymore?)

I found about a billion binkys, all sort of tweaked, gross and unusable.

I'm currently trying to figure out which of the baby teething toys can be washed in a dishwasher or washing machine and laughing at how much my kids LOVE baby toys. Why'd we ever buy them new toys??

So, 17 days and counting... or 15 if you go by my ultrasound's prediction. My doctor assured me that I wasn't going to go while she was out of town last week, and I didn't. But she's back now, and my husband is hoping I'll give birth any minute so it's before his new semester of school starts (on Jan. 17)- when he'll be working part-time, TA-ing, and going to school full-time. But I still don't know how ready we are. When our son was born, our daughter was 20 1/2 months old... and even then it seemed like we'd forgotten everything there was to know about newborns. The space between my son and this baby is going to be over 3 1/2 years... I'm not sure I remember anything about newborns. Oh dear.

4 comments:

AshbyFamily said...

I hear ya on remembering how to do the baby stuff...I have felt like a new mom all over again. And since when are crib bumpers out?? I love them, they hold the paci's in and I think that they are cute!
Good luck getting everything together. I hope that you have a great delivery and recovery.

Jamie said...

Bumpers are out? We aren't supposed to use platic bottles?! Where have I been? My sister said that the nipples for bottles deteriorate and you aren't supposed to use them after so long. I'm not sure about that one, but it freaked me out. I don't understand why cloth diapers cost so much.

Cristin Lassen said...

I was also thinking about not using a bumper with the next baby. And yeah, my friend told me the other day that plastic bottles washed in the dishwasher over 50 times cause cancer or something, but I think she's crazy.

I was totally in denial that Luke was coming. I didn't have a crib set up or anything when he was born. Only clothes washed. Clothes that he was too small for. Good luck. Hopefully you'll have the full 17 (or 15) days to get ready.

A Random Stranger said...

"Smallish townhome." Read: "A closet slightly smaller than one of those cat condo things."

www.angelicalcat.com/images/collageflat.jpg

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...