"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, February 04, 2008

Book Report: Rules by Cynthia Lord



My friend/former roommate Kate is currently pursuing a Master's Degree from the New England Center for Children Autism School (Kate, correct me if I'm wrong on that). She mentioned this young adult book as one that she was reading. It's written from the perspective of a twelve year old girl whose eight year old brother has autism. It's sort of how she deals with it, how she feels, but also how she sort of comes to accept it and befriends another boy with special needs. I really enjoyed this book. I read the first 2/3 or so while in labor, waiting at home to make sure I really was in labor. And then I finished it a few days later. It was quick and easy and entertainingly informative. I don't know a whole lot about autism, but it is something that I think is worth learning about, what little there is to learn. I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime* a few years ago and I really enjoyed being able to jump into the brain of someone (fictional) with autism and see the world through their eyes. Rules was a different twist on that... seeing the world through the sister's eyes. I've also heard that Jenny McCarthy's book, Louder Than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism*, about her son's autism is very good.


*harsh language

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...