"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Book Report: Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan



Wendy commented on how often the book I'm "Currently Reading" changes in my sidebar. My secret, I often read young adult or early reader books that can be knocked off in a day. That, or I go through dry spells, like most of the latter half of last year, when I hardly read it all, and then all of a sudden every book out there has attracted my attention and I can't wait to read them all. So, this is the fourth book I've read this year. And the third book report I've posted today. But I didn't finish all of these books today. I finished one yesterday, one over the weekend, and yes, this one today. But it was only 262 pages!

What first attracted me to this book? The cover. I choose a lot of what I read based on the cover art. So, note to all of you future authors out there (or current authors with crap cover art), you can judge a book by its cover.

Esperanza Rising is based on the grandmother of the author. It is about a girl, growing up wealthy and privileged in Aguascalientes, Mexico in the 1920s, who, after her father's death is forced to leave Mexico with her mother. They arrive in California to work at a Mexican farm labor camp just as workers are threatening to strike, and the "Okies" are showing up, looking for work during the Great Depression.

Esperanza learns a lot, grows a lot and it is all so much sweeter because you know that a long time ago, there was a young girl, very much like Esperanza living this story. She grew up and told little stories here and there to her granddaughter, and now we have this book. It isn't just a coming of age story, but a history lesson about my home state and the farm camps of the 1930s that I don't recall ever having a real history lesson about.

8 comments:

The Man Your Husband Is Worried About said...

All this crap you do while I'm asleep. Seriously, I didn't go to bed THAT early last night, and yet you still wrote something like THREE book reviews?!

nancy said...

Technically, I wrote the first two yesterday morning in between trying to get our car to start. The last one I wrote while you were asleep last night, after finishing the book... but I only had like 30 pages, which is why I stayed up to finish it.

Cristin said...

I'm confused. Your baby counter thing seems broken. Yesterday it said zero and now it says one. Does it go backwards when you are overdue?

Nance said...

i thought the same thing about the baby counter. i figured it would stay at zero or say negative one. i wonder if tomorrow it will say two. maybe it's just trying to make the overdue mother feel better.

what happens with your midwife if you go over due? do they induce? can they induce? i hate to be induced, but don't want to go too far over due at the same time.

Nance said...

oh oh... maybe it knows something i don't know and the baby is going to be born tomorrow... in one day. :)

wendys said...

So what does it mean that my name is hyperlinked to an article about "Westlifer Nicky Byrne's twin babies are christened"?? I've never even heard about these babies! But your book does sound interesting.

Nance said...

Wendy - what it means is that I pasted the wrong link. Sorry, it's fixed now.

Cristin said...

Nancy - I asked my midwife about that and she had the same policy as my doctor with Luke did: I can go one week and five days over, at that point we do non-stress tests, ultrasound, etc. I was overdue with Luke, but I was actually grateful for the extra time to get ready for him to come.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...