"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Orange Rolls

I love baking. Desserts specifically. That should be obvious my the recipes I post here.

I'm not a huge chocolate person. I don't like chocolate cake. I don't like chocolate ice cream. I don't particularly care for Oreos. I do however like chocolate candy, and other chocolate desserts. But right now, almost 8 months pregnant, I'm discovering that chocolate is a huge culprit of my heartburn. That being said, here's a non-chocolate recipe that I am smelling right now as they cool and await their glaze.

It's my brother-in-law's recipe that I believe he got from his mission president's wife, who, for awhile was wife to the LA Temple president. (I assume she is still his wife, he just isn't the current president of the LA temple.) My brother-in-law always makes them as more of a dinner roll when we have ham dinners for Easter, etc. My dad however is adamant that this is a dessert and is always very distraught when it's served with dinner. Server them how you may. I like them as an alternative to cinnamon rolls.

Orange Rolls


This is Buddy glazing Orange Rolls in April as our Easter breakfast.


Ingredients:

1 square butter
1 cup milk (scalded)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 pkg. dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup warm water
3 eggs (beaten)
5 cups flour


Directions:

Mix together butter, milk, salt and sugar. Cool.

Separately, mix together yeast, sugar and warm water.

Let stand.

Add yeast mixture and eggs to first mixture. Then add flour gradually and beat well. (Mixture will be slightly sticky).

Let rise until almost doubled in bulk. Punch down and separate into two equal portions. Using a bread board that is heavily floured roll out one portion at a time to about a 12x18 rectangle.

Orange Filling : Mix together ½ cup butter (melted), ½ cup sugar, grated rind of one orange.

Spread on the orange filling with a knife and beginning at the long side roll up, as for a cinnamon roll. Slice off with dental floss/thread in about 1 inch pieces and place in well greased muffin tins. Let rise until light. Bake 375 for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Ice with powdered sugar mixed with orange juice to separate consistency.

Makes 2 dozen.
*My recipe says, "easily doubled," except for the 10 cups of flour... yikes. My mixer can't handle that. Darn.

3 comments:

wendys said...

This post is making me hungry...

Lisa said...

I think this is the next of your recipes that I want to try. I rarely make yeast breads, except a pizza crust that requires zero kneading, but I saw that this recipe doesn't either, so it's just up my alley.

Do you know if you can freeze the rolls before they're cooked? I think I would make 12 and want to freeze the other half. Then I would probably wish I had baked them all. I LOVE orange rolls.

Nance said...

Lisa- I have no idea about freezing the orange rolls before baking them. I usually just make up the whole batch and try to be nice and give some away before I myself gobble them all up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...