"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas Book Recommendations


Don't Bite Me, I'm Santa Claus
by Tom Plummer
(husband to my favorite author, Louise Plummer)
A collection of essays about his childhood experiences with Santa, his adult experiences as Santa, and everything in between. There's also a forward by his wife. They are both very humorous people and I always enjoy reading what they have written.



The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman
by Louise Plummer
This is a young adult novel about a girl who has always had a crush on her older brother's best friend, will that romance come true this Christmas? Written from the teenage girls perspective, as if she was writing a romance novel, this book is so funny. I love it.




Letters from Father Christmas
by J.R.R. Tolkien
I've already written a post about this book.



Other notable mentions, all children's books:




When Jesus Was Born in Bethlehem
by Joseph Brickey


How Santa Got His Job by Stephen Krensky



How The Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss



Snowmen At Night by Carolyn Buehner



The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg



The Night Before Christmas by Jan Brett



The Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett


3 comments:

Jamie said...

I just got an email saying that Utah is starting its first virtual charter school. It's a k12 one-just like the one you were telling me about. I'm excited. I'll look into it. Penny's going to BYU kindergarten, but after that, I'm excited to see what my other options are. I found another program I like. I don't know if I would follow it exact, but it's amblesideonline.org. How is your daughter's school going? Are you happy with it?

Nance said...

We're happy with the school program and curriculum. Not always with our daughter. She does great as long as it's an enjoyable subject (ie: not math) and she's good at it. if it's hard (ie: math) and requires some actual thought and work, it's a huge pain. But then I think, if she was in a kindergarten class she'd be flunking out because she needs so much one on one time for math. So, it's a struggle, mainly math, but it's been pretty cool so far. I'll check out that website you listed.

AshbyFamily said...

Nancy,

Can you please email me your address to send you a Christmas card? lesashby@gmail.com

thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...