"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, November 19, 2007

Warm Winter Drinks



I love hot chocolate. I loved it as a kid in California where looking back, it never was cold enough to need hot chocolate. I loved it in Utah when I was in college. That's where I discovered the Cocomotion. My friend Dan (Marta's Dan) received one for Christmas or his birthday. It was brilliant. My whole life I'd been saying... someone should invent a hot chocolate maker just like a coffee maker. I always figured I could get a coffee maker to make hot chocolate, but didn't know enough about coffee makers to figure it out. Then I met this machine. I put it on my Christmas list and my nice brother-in-law thought the Cocomotion was such a great idea that he got one for me and put one on his list. I love this thing even more now that I need to make more than just one cup of hot cocoa for me. My daughter is obsessed with it. All summer she asked when we could have hot chocolate again. We finally broke it out a couple weeks ago. Yum. Plus, my sister-in-law's brother-in-law is supposedly famous for his hot chocolate so I found out his secret. He adds a little vanilla and some cinnamon. So yummy!

There are these two women who live in my town and go to my church that are awesome cooks. I'm sure there are more than two, but these two always do our food demonstration at our Super Saturday craft activities. This year one of them gave us this recipe she calls:

Russian Refresher Mix



2 cups powdered orange drink mix (Tang works)
1/3 cup presweeteened powdered lemonade mix
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well. Put in a 1-quart airtight container. Label. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 6 months. Makes about 3 1/2 cups mix.

To serve: Add 3 tsp of Russian Refresher Mix to 1 cup hot water. Stir to dissolve.

She wraps some up in a cute jar or mug and gives it out as small Christmas presents. Like you sometimes see Cookies in a Jar or Hot Chocolate given as gifts.


It's a lot like Hot Apple Cider, but with Orange instead. I loved the tiny little sample we each got and woke up this morning with a sore throat thinking how good this drink sounded to me right now. Unfortunately I don't keep Tang on hand or I'd be drinking it right now.

1 comment:

wendys said...

We have the cocomotion! Its wonderful. It's perfect for a cold, windy, pocatello winter morning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...