"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, November 12, 2007

"I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed. But can you ever just be whelmed?"

Today is just one of those days where everything seems a bit too much. So when I pulled out my cookbook to look at tonight's dinner recipe, and I saw all the post-its marking recipes I want to try, and see how few of them I've even gotten to, and how many more recipes I've never tried that aren't even in this cookbook, I felt a bit overwhelmed. Sort of funny, because they are after all just recipes. But like I said, it's just one of those days. And the word "overwhelmed" always reminds me of that quote from "10 things I hate about you"... which is a movie I love.

Here are some of my prime spots for good recipes:

Taste of Home magazine (if you buy a copy at the store, they have the little tear out post card subscription things... and it's only like $12 for a year - 10 issues) and it's totally worth it. Tonight's dinner recipe is actually coming out of their Contest Winning recipes cookbook from 2004 which I purchased awhile back... in 2004 presumably.

Food and Family magazine (which technically, is just kraftfoods.com. Somehow, even though the magazine has a selling price on it when it comes in the mail, I get it, as does my mom, for free, a few times a year. Just sign up at their website... somehow, because as I'm looking at the website, I can't seem to find where you'd sign up. But then again, it's just one of those days and you may have better luck than me).

Pampered Chef I know some of you are haters, but a lot of their recipes are really tasty. You can do recipe searches on their website, but not all recipes are available to view. Same with Taste of Home.
Cooks.com

Unfortunately that's all I have time for since, as I stated before, I was looking at tonight's dinner recipe, getting ready to start. And I got distracted by all the recipes, then started this post, then saw that Kraft had recalled some Baker's White Chocolate so I had to go check the expiration date on my Baker's White Chocolate, etc. So now, I REALLY need to start making dinner.

But before I go, here's tonight's recipe:

Old-Fashioned Chicken Potpie

Ingredients:1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1-1/2 cups water
2/3 cup milk
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules (about 3 cubes?)
2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
1 cup veggies (I like carrots, green beans, corn)

Pastry Ingredients:
1-2/3 cups flfour
2 tsp. celery seed
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, cubed
1/2 cup cold butter

Directions:
In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in water, milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken and veggies; set aside.

For pastry, combine flour and celery seed in a bowl. Cut in cream cheese and butter until crumbly. Work mixture by hand until dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll two-thirds of dough into a 12 inch square. (Or, if you suck at making crusts like I do, I cheat and roll it out directly in my square pan.) Transfer to an 8 inch square baking dish. Pour filling into crust. Roll remaining dough into 9 inch square; place over filling. Trim, seal, and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.

Bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serves 6.



4 comments:

wendys said...

I don't get the Taste of Home magazine but I have their 1999 and 2000 recipe books. They are my favorite! I really should get more. I do like the Pampered Chef recipes but I have a hard time following them because of the wording "using your pampered chef silicon utensil, scrape everything into your lovely pampered chef mid-sized pasty bowl." Instead of "scrape it into a bowl."

Cristin Lassen said...

I love making chicken pot pie from scratch. I'm going to try your recipe!

Nance said...

Yes, that bugs me about Pampered Chef as well. I always change the wording when I type up my recipes.

Sometimes I make 1 1/2 times the pastry crust... it seems to never quite work out to be enough to go on top because I put too much on the bottom, etc. Last time I made it I didn't have enough cream cheese to 1 1/2 it and it was perfect just normal. This time I did it the normal recipe, and I couldn't cover the top of my pie completely. So sad. But then again, I am bad at pastries and crusts, etc.

A Random Stranger said...

Seal of approval: I eat too much of it. But then again, I eat too much of most things. So there you go.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...