"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Brownie Edges




I didn't realize there were people who actually liked brownie edges until I saw this pan. When I was a kid, my mom always made these things called Hot Fudge Squares (which aren't really hot, or fudge) to take to church functions, etc. She'd cut out brownie squares and place them on a plate and leave the edges for us kids to eat. But they were baked in a huge, Texas Sheet Cake sort of pan, and the edges were never crunchy. I can't handle the crunchy brownie. I like them chewy. But everyone is different aren't they. I have a friend whose entire family likes crispy cookies. So when she's making cookies for other people, she has to fight her instinct and take them out of the oven when they still looked unbaked and doughy to her, so they'll be edible to the other people who aren't fans of the over-baked cookies.

Hot Fudge Squares
my Mom's recipe
Ingredients:

2 cups sugar

2 cups flour

4 tbsp. cocoa

2 sticks butter

1 cup water

2 eggs

1 tsp. soda

½ cup buttermilk **

½ tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. vanilla

Frosting Ingredients:

1 stick butter

6 tbsp. milk

2 tbsp. cocoa

1 cup little marshmallows

1 tsp. vanilla

1 pound powdered sugar (1 pound = 3 ½ cups)

1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:

Mix together sugar, flour, and cocoa. Melt butter and add water. Pour over dry mixture and beat. Add slightly beaten eggs. Combine soda and buttermilk, add to batter and stir. Add cinnamon and vanilla. Bake in greased, floured cookie pan/bar pan (large cookie sheet with edges: 10x15) for 30 minutes at 350. While cake is hot, add hot frosting.

Frosting directions: melt butter, add milk, cocoa, marshmallows. Stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Add chopped nuts.

Let stand 5 minutes. Serves 20.

**(Substitute 1 tbsp. vinegar in regular milk if buttermilk is not available.)

3 comments:

wendys said...

I made brownies today and it took me forever to find a recipe I wanted to make! I should have checked your blog first, these sound yummy. That is one weird pan. I definitely don't needs something that specialized taking up my precious cupboard space.

wendys said...

P.S. Let me know if you like Letters from Father Christmas by J. R. R. Tolkien because I'm thinking about getting it.

Jo said...

It's so funny that you have this post because I actually bought this pan for my mom for xmas! She loves the edges of the brownies and doesn't ever eat the inside, so I got her this so she could have all the edges she'd want! Very funny!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...