"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Baby Boy

We may come home from the hospital with a "Baby Boy" written on the birth certificate. That's if it's a boy. We still don't know.

We have always been in agreement on girl names. In fact, we could have 6+ more girls and still be somewhat happy with our name choices. As for boys... we used the only one we could ever agree on. So if this baby is a boy, it may be "Baby Boy" coming home from the hospital with us.

Both of our other kids have pretty common names. Names that even show up in our family history . . . a lot. Not on purpose mind you, we went out of our way to make sure we weren't actually naming our kids after anyone. They have important names, meaningful names, but not names that belong to someone else who we are honoring. We just aren't that sort of people.

Today I entered the new realm of naming a baby... I typed in all our baby name combinations into a Google search to see which were the most uncommon. Our girl name is a winner combined with our last name. Our boy names... one had no hits, the rest all had pages and pages of links.

My biggest problem right now is that the girl name is my all time favorite girl name. I'm still not sure why we didn't use it with our first girl. The boy name we're leaning towards right now is that girl name's cartoon character brother. So if this is a boy, can I still use my all time favorite girl name next time?? Can we have two kids who are cartoon character siblings? Will people notice? I guess we already have two kids with British royalty names... sort of. Then the added confusion of do cartoon character sibling names really match up with British royalty names? AHHHHHH!

And you are even more confused than I am because I can't tell you these names. (And due to my crazy idea of internet privacy, I can't tell you our real kids' names because someone will then kidnap them from our home). Not telling our possible baby names is our rule. We'll find out if it's a boy or girl and tell everyone (yes... this pregnancy has been a sort of exception to the rule, but I should be finding out soon). But we won't tell you our name choices. We don't want to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions. With our son, our daughter was 20 1/2 months old and my family kept quizzing her on what we were going to name her baby brother. All they got out of her was "Baby Numnum." They couldn't figure it out.

2 comments:

A Random Stranger said...

I already have a baby boy name. Actually, I have two of them. All you have to do is get out of my way and let me handle things.

Cristin Lassen said...

I don't blame you for not telling people your names. There are lot of name stealers and name mockers out there. The name stealers are rampant (I have two nieces named Atalie and Adalyn thanks to Ditte the name stealer), and the name mockers will ruin any name idea before it had a fighting chance. BUT, the rule is that you can't (or shouldn't) make fun of a baby's name after the baby it's born.

I really hope you have a boy so we can use your name.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...