"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, October 01, 2007

What to cook for dinner?

My husband will be home from work in one hour. Our car is in the shop today and when I called to see if it was ready, I was on hold, on my cell phone, for 15 minutes. I haven't called back yet. I made super yummy, rich brownies last night so we finished off our milk. We have only a few eggs, that expired like 5 days ago (breakfast for dinner is usually my last minute, I don't know what we should eat tonight solution). We've recently had spaghetti, my other thrown together meal. And we're out of bread. Hmmm... I didn't plan this car going into the shop thing very well. I should have done some grocery shopping Saturday to prepare. So what do you make when your cupboards are rather bare... at least of meal-making ingredients? They are technically over-flowing. But I'm a recipe person, not a throw all the canned things I have together in a pot and cook it kind of person. Some people can pull that off. I would end up with a pot full of completely inedible stuff and no canned goods on my shelf.

These are the ingredients that I don't have on hand, that are necessary when I am planning a last minute thrown together meal.

eggs
milk
sour cream
bread
chicken
tortillas
lettuce

With these, I could come up with several meals. Breakfast for dinner. French toast. Sandwiches. Any variety of chicken casseroles. Tacos. Enchiladas. A giant salad. Etc. Etc. But alas, we may be eating canned soups for dinner.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

the story of my life

wendys said...

My throw together meals are usually some sort of soup or a homemade macaroni and cheese. But you can't do either without milk! I always keep dry milk in my cupboard for emergencies like that.

Cristin Lassen said...

Last night I had nothing but milk, eggs, flour... very basic stuff. So we had waffles for dinner... and as an added bonus we each got a piece and a half of bacon. It was exciting.

I also keep lots of Annie's Mac and Cheese (in a box) on hand for emergencies. Not the best dinner, but Erik likes it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...