"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Soup Season


I started being obsessed with soup last winter. I kept trying to drag soup season out, wanting to convince myself that it was still cold enough to be serving soup to my family. But eventually spring warmed up and summer approached and I had to admit that soup season was over.

But now it's back, almost. I bought all of the stuff to make my favorite soup about a week and a half ago, but then it warmed back up and I couldn't serve it to my husband who just rode a bike home for 30 minutes in 80 degree weather. But today, today I woke up to thunder and lightening. And even though it stopped raining early on, it never got above 60 degrees. A bit of a stretch, but we had soup for dinner, nonetheless. Mmmm... I wonder how many nights in a row I can serve my husband soup for dinner without him complaining. And how many alternate dinners I can create to feed my kids since for the most part, they won't eat soup.

Here's one of my favorite recipes:

El Pinto Green Salsa Chicken Enchilada Soup

Ingredients:
3/4 of a 3 lb. bag of chicken tenderloins
Lawry Seasoning Salt
celery salt
chili powder
garlic salt
pepper
2 jars El Pinto mild green chili salsa
1 bag frozen white corn
3 cans chicken broth (plus all the drippings from the cookie sheet)
2 cans white beans - drained
2 cans black beans - drained
2 - 8 oz. cream cheese - cubed
cheese
sour cream
tortillas or tortilla chips

Directions:
Put chicken on foil covered cookie sheet and season with the five spices. Bake for 1 hour at 350. Save drippings from pan.

In a pot, add 2 jars salsa, corn, chicken broth, chicken drippings, chopped/shredded chicken, white beans, black beans, cream cheese. Warm soup and serve with cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips. (I like to tear of tortillas and add them for the last few minutes of cooking as well.)

3 comments:

Cristin Lassen said...

This is really funny, because I was also wondering the other day how many times I could serve soup in a row before Erik starts complaining. I made a huge thing of chicken soup (boiled the whole chicken practically) on Monday and we've had it for every meal since then and seems okay, but it's only Wednesday. Then I want to make a new soup tomorrow... so, yeah, we'll see how long this will last. I love soup too.

wendys said...

My 3 yr old actually eats vegetables when they are in soup form. I even make soup in the summer and my husband doesn't complain. When I worked in the Pendulum court (on byu campus) they had a chicken enchilada soup recipe too but I hated the corn tortillas in it. So I have since changed the recipe to fit my tastes and use flour tortillas and it's one of my favorite.

A Random Stranger said...

Soup's okay, but I was, like, a billion degrees last night from riding a bike and I was greeted with a big steaming bowl of soup. And you know me and steaming bowls of stuff, so now my tongue is burnt. Thanks a lot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...