"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, September 14, 2007

Reader's Block


As I wrote the title to this post, I'm reminded that I may have already written about this dilemma I have. I'll have to check.

Reader's Block is sort of like Writer's Block. There are three varieties.

1. No time to read. Which, in general, is not an excuses I'll accept. There are short periods of time when I don't have the time to read, but none of these last more than a week or so. Unless I've recently gotten a season of CSI on dvd or something, and then that takes precedence over reading.

2. I don't feel like reading. Usually this could be some sort of indicator that there is something seriously wrong with me. I read constantly. But I do have periods of time when I'm just worn out from reading. This year, for instance. Last year I read like crazy. Over 22,000 pages. In 74 books. That was extreme. That was twice as many pages as I'd ever read in a year (at least since I started keeping track). I may have read more the summer I was 10 or so and I read every Babysitter's Club Book I owned at least twice, probably three times. So far this year I've read 8,013 pages in a whopping 24 books. This time last year, I had read more than twice as many books and more than twice as many pages. I think last year wore me out a bit on reading.

3. I can't decide what to read next. This is where I am now. I have books I own that I haven't read and would like to. I have a list of books I would like to check out from the library and read. It's just that none of them are screaming at me to read them next. I should post a list of all the books I've read in the last 8 years (since I've been keeping track) and have you, based off the books I've already read, suggest new ones. You could be like my personal librarian or small book shop owner. But that would be a really long post, 264 books worth (a few repeated).

So, what should I read next?


9 comments:

Cristin Lassen said...

Have you ever read Fast Food Nation or Nickel and Dimed? I read both of these about 2 years ago and can't stop thinking about them. Their non-fiction, but entertaining. Esp. Nickel and Dimed.

AshbyFamily said...

I'm in a book club, and this month's book is:
The Westing Game by, Ellen Raskin.
It's a Newberry winner
It's a Mystery (not my favorite kind of book)
It's a quick read
I haven't finished it yet. I still have a week till the next meeting and I will wait to the last minute to finish it.

Nance said...

Cristin - I have never read either of those books (I tend to avoid nonfiction), but I have had someone else recommend Fast Food Nation. And I just read the reviews off Nickel and Dimed on amazon and it sounds interesting as well. Thanks.

Leslie - I never read The Westing Game as a kid, but read it a few years ago since it was one of Brandon's favorite books as a kid. I saw recently at Borders that they've released it with a new updated cover, etc. You'll have to let me know what other fun books your book club is reading.

Nance said...

About Fast Food Nation... is it going to scare me off of all unhealthy food, or just fast food?

And is it going to gross me out with the practices of fast food restaurants, like they stomp on garlic in the alley with their shoes on and then use it in the restaurant? (Not that fast food restaurants really use garlic, but I saw a news report of some fancy restaurant somewhere getting in trouble for this recently.)

Cristin Lassen said...

I saw that same news report!

It will scare you off fast food. Except for In-n-Out and Jack in the Box. For some reason, the author likes those two places. It's just a really fascinating book.

Another quick short read is "The Nanny Diaries." It's easy to get through and entertaining.

I started "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett this week. It came strongly recommended to me, but we'll see... I'm still struggling to make it through the first chapter.

Nance said...

I've read The Nanny Diaries and enjoyed it.

Funny about Jack in the Box being an okay fast food restaurant. They had that e coli thing forever ago. I was the only one I knew who would still eat there. I figured they had the safest food after the fact.

Jamie said...

What about those Stephanie Barron books? Have you read those? I'm reading those right now. They are mysteries based on discovered writings of Jane Austen's discovered by a distant relative in an old house or something like that in the USA. Really interesting and very entertaining. So far. I think there's 7 or 8 books.

A Random Stranger said...

Well, it took you a billion years to read "The Winter of Our Discontent," even though I read your favorite book in, like, a week or something. And you took more than a year to read "Life of Pi." And you still haven't read "Drawing on the Powers of Heaven." So it seems like you've already got a waiting list. (Ahem ahem.)

Randall,Lindsay & The Boys said...

I'd love to see your list!! I just finished an english class last semester - but the reading list was pretty short and I had read most of the books/stories before...so that probably guarantees that you've already read them!! It was interesting to me that the list of books for my BYU english class were more 'questionable' than the ones assigned from the professor here...

Anyways - that might seem like a really random thought - but I was going somewhere with it (trying to at least). The anthology that he used is full of amazing short stories. They're my new favorite thing to read....and if you read a whole anthology you could easily put 1,000 pages under your belt from one book;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...