"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Pondering a Pet



Princess Sparkley told me the other day that she thinks she wants a pet. Thinking it was going to be her answer from a few months ago, a unicorn or a puppy, I asked her what kind of pet she would like. Her response, a fish. "A fish," I told her, "we can talk about."

And so the hunt began for what type of fish to get and what kind of aquarium we would need. Which resulted in me telling my husband, "It might be easier to just get a puppy."

Goldfish, which I had as a kid in just a bowl, apparently can't be in a tank smaller than like 20 gallons. Bettas seem easiest, but we need to get two fish (one for each kid) and they fight. I would love to get some neon tetras, but they apparently need to be kept in a school of at least 5-6 fish, and need a 10 gallon tank. I was thinking more along the lines of a 2.5 gallon tank, 5 gallons top.

So what is your experience with fish? Which route should I take. Of course I've already had to talk them our of getting a pet Nemo and a pet Dory since they are tropical fish and we're not going anywhere near salt water aquariums.

5 comments:

AshbyFamily said...

Who needs pets when you have kids...they are messier and way more expensive. We tried the fish thing, when it died a week later my kids were crushed. Maybe have the "death" talk before you purchase.

Jamie said...

Good luck with that. We've never had luck with any small pets like fish, rats, hamsters, etc. They always get killed somehow and the stinky cleaning of their cage/bowl? You have to be brave to do that. But I never did any research like you have. That's smart. So you'll probably have success. Let us know what you get!

Jamie said...

So I want to know about 2 books: The Last Summer of you and me AND Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Cristin Lassen said...

Fish are the only pet I will ever have. They are easy and you can't get attached to them like other pets when they inevitably die.

Randall,Lindsay & The Boys said...

My brother (Jamin) and his wife bought Garron a Beta fish exactly four years ago this month. They were smart enough to purchase the fish and set up a relatively simple eco-system to go with it (which basically involves a wide-mouthed vase as the tank, bottled water and a plant with the roots dangling in the top). We feed it about two or three times a month (not twice a day like the directions on the food tells you) - and somehow it survives!!

If you want any more info - or pictures - let me know... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...