"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Weird Habits

I've been thinking about weird habits I've adopted over the years. Here are just a few:

I sleep way down on my bed (I'm 5'6" and we have a California King bed) so that I can sleep on my stomach with my toes hanging off the edge. I've done this as long as I can remember.

I have to have something near my nose to fall asleep. This is a more recent development. Usually just the sheet, or my hand up near my face. I don't know why.

Sometimes, I find myself falling asleep by cupping my hand under my ear. This goes back to college, when I had the cartilage parts of both ears pierced (not at the same time). I can only sleep on my stomach, so my sore ear was pressed into the pillow and it hurt. So I took to sort of cupping my hand around my ear between it and the pillow, with my fingers spread out where the earring was. I took all those earrings out 6+ years ago and I still sleep that way sometimes.

I count my fingers all the time. Not because I'm worried that they are gone, just as something to do when I am nervous or bored. It started my freshman year of college when I had a jogging class. It was either my teacher, or maybe my husband that told me not to run with my fists clenched, so to remind myself to keep them open I'd count my fingers. I start with my thumbs on each hand, sort of move that finger when I count it and think "12345" then I reverse is starting with my pinky and count "12345" again. It used to be really bad, to the point that, before we were married, my husband and I would be holding hands and he'd ask me if they were all there because he could feel me counting them all the time. I don't do it much now, but I catch myself every once in awhile.

I'm sure there are tons more. I asked my husband if he could think of any. His response was if he knew more weird stuff about me he wouldn't have married me. So I guess I've done a good job keeping all of my weird habits to myself, until now.


What are your weird habits?


Here are a few that I know of:

My mom hums all the time. She doesn't realize she's doing it.

My brother feels wrinkles. It's been his comfort thing since he was a baby. He feels the wrinkles in his sheets to fall asleep. He feels the wrinkles in his pants when he's sitting down, etc.

My best friend Angela wiggles her toes when she's falling asleep.

My daughter wraps her blankey around her neck like a scarf to fall asleep. She also chews on anything she happens to be holding without thinking about it.

My son ends a lot of his sentences with "you know that?"

2 comments:

Cristin Lassen said...

You are a weirdo.

I have food issues. Won't eat anything past the expiration date and have the expiration dates of all my food in memorized. Milk - August 8th, Cheese - September 1st, Hot Dogs, September 17th... you get the idea.

Jamie said...

Those are some funny habits.

I won't drink the last sip out of a cup whether it's milk, juice, water or whatever. I think it goes back to my brothers telling me that when you drink something, all the backwash goes to the bottom of the glass and that's what you swallow at the end. They were mean to me.

I also take off all my clothes when I come home. I'm working on that because I got kids now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...