"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Morning Sickness Cures

http://www.jellybabys.co.uk/images/morning_sickness.gif

I'm not going to bore you all by turning my blog into a blog about a pregnant lady. But there are a few things worth mentioning.

When I was pregnant with my first, it seems like I was sick all the time. My husband will never let me live down the fact that I was starving late one night, made him go and buy us In N Out Burgers and immediately after finishing it I puked it all up. He still brings this up every time I'm pregnant and starving late at night, and it's been over 5 years.

I tried all the "cures" with pregnancy #1. I had read somewhere that Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks helped. I drank a lot of them. And it seems as thought it sort of did. But the thought of drinking one of those now, 5+ years later, makes me want to vomit. I drank a lot of Gatorade. I kept crackers by my bed. I drank ginger ale (but what you'll discover is that not a single ginger ale in the grocery store actually has ginger as an ingredient... it's ginger that you need). I ate small meals. I avoided greasy foods. I avoided strong smells. I was still sick.

Plus, with pregnancy #1 everything set me off. Especially meat. I had huge issues with meat. I'd get seriously grossed out mid chew of Sunday dinner and my in-laws and have to spit my bite into my napkin hoping no one noticed. I also got full mid chew a lot. All of a sudden I'd be in the middle of chewing a bit and my stomach would tell me "you can't swallow this bite. You're too full. If you swallow this bite, you're going to puke it all up." This also drove my poor husband crazy.

With pregnancy #2, I felt sick a lot of the time, but only actually threw up a few times. My reasoning? Kid #1 was only one year old when I became pregnant with kid #2. There was no time or place to be sick. I just had to deal with it.

With pregnancy #3 I've felt pretty sick. But again, now I have two kids to deal with and no time to be bent over a toilet. Nor to I think while I eat. I'm just eating while making sure my kids are eating and thinking of what to do next, etc. Plus I've figured out my body. I don't have morning sickness. I have night sickness. As long as there is always some food in my stomach, but not too much, I can survive. But until about a week ago, I had to be in bed every night by 10 PM or it was like I was Cinderella and my coach was turning back into a pumpkin. That's when the morning sickness hit. I had to lay down and go to sleep immediately or toilet here I came. I needed sleep. And so I've survived the morning sickness phase of pregnancy #3 without actually puking. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.

2 comments:

A Random Stranger said...

I'm in my third pregnancy and I haven't puked once.

Also, after the last delivery, I felt like going out and playing golf.

I'm just saying.

wendys said...

I puke uncontrollably with my pregnancies (morning, night, middle of the night, etc) and somebody finally told my about unisom in pregnancy #2. I took a 1/2 a sleeping pill at night before bed and I would only puke 1-2x a day instead of all day and night. It allowed me to actually function and take care of kid #1.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...