"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A baguette


While at BYU I spent a semester, really only a term (Spring 1999) in London with the BYU Study Abroad London Theatre group. It was fantastic. We (Angela and I) sort of did the "pretend we're living in London" thing more than the "we're American tourists that have to cram seeing fifty sites into each day." I always fantasized about carrying home a paper grocery bag with a single baguette in it (even though this seems much more France than England). Nor do I think I ever bought a baguette while there. But today I was carrying in my groceries, and sticking out of the top of my brown paper bag was a baguette. It instantly made me feel sophisticated and foreign, like that one single baguette in my grocery bag could make me feel like I live in a huge city in a foreign country with a bakery around the corner where I always buy a baguette after of course purchasing fresh flowers from the flower vendor near the entrance to the tube. It was sort of a fun daydream that carried me away for a moment.

5 comments:

Cristin Lassen said...

We have a bakery down the street from us here and one of my favorite things to do in the 'Hachapi is walk down to the bakery, buy a baguette and walk home with it sticking out of the bag. It's silly huh? But I am right there with you with that flower and baguette fantasy. Plus, the bread smells so good.

wendys said...

I love fresh bread!

A Random Stranger said...

What grocery store did YOU go to? All the ones I ever go to in this town would put the bread at the bottom of the bag, underneath your 20-gallon container of Tide.
Yeah, I'm talking about you: Hy-Vee on Sixth, Hy-Vee on 23rd, both Dillonses on Sixth, the Dillons on Massachusetts, Target, and Wal-Mart. I've never been to the Dillons on 23rd or the Merc.

Jen said...

How awesome you went to London! I served a mission there, so we were there at the same time! I left the middle of '99. Don't you just love it there!

Nance said...

I LOVED London. When my husband asks where I'd ever want to go that's foreign I always pick London. And Scotland.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...