"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Blogger vs. MySpace

I'm not a huge fan of MySpace. It seems too geared towards teenagers. And too geared towards random people sending you friend invites. People you totally don't want to be friends with. I like that Blogger isn't like that. We aren't in a competition to see who has the most friends. We're just reading posts and commenting and enjoying ourselves.

But MySpace does have a few things going for it that I wish Blogger would adopt:

1. You can comment in general on MySpace. There are conversations I want to have that have nothing to do with a post, but they end up taking place under a post heading. And then what to do? Do I answer their random question under the post they posted it, or do I go to their newest post and randomly comment in response? I don't know! I wish there was just an ongoing conversation area like the "Friends Comments" on MySpace.

2. I sort of like the anonymity of blogger. But at the same time, I'd like to be able to hunt down old high school friends, college roommates, people I've lost track of to see if they have a blog. MySpace let's you track down people based on their high school, college, location in the world, etc. I just have to try to think of people I'd like to find that have strange names and do a google blog search. But one of my friends is named Jim Morrison. That's never going to work with him.

1 comment:

wendys said...

my complaint with MySpace is that it looks to cluttered and I can't decide where to look. But I do agree with you about the running conversations being a nice touch.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...