"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Monday, July 23, 2007

Naymes

What is with the cutesy spelling of names? It's cute when they are a baby. But my husband is in a college class with an guy named Jaymes. Jaymes. With a freakin' "Y." Who does that to a boy? They grow into men who don't want cutesy names. If I was Jaymes, I would have dropped that Y as soon as I learned to write my name. Or at least after the first time I got beat up on the playground for being a pansie.

3 comments:

Cristin Lassen said...

The title of your post is cracking me up. I totally know what you mean. I really feel like some people don't realize that babies do grow up and they don't need all these weird spellings. Oh well, its a free country, people can name their kid styrofoam (or styrofoame - that would be the creative way to spell it) for all that I care.

Jamie said...

Don't even get me started. This is a major pet peeve of mine! In my Primary, I've ot an Illyace. You know what name that is? Elias. And even though I know that, every time I see it, I have to force myself to acutually pronounce it like Elias. There's Aliscen, Izzylee (pronounced Ezzylee, because they "wanted her to be different"). I guess people can do whatever they want, but seriously, I don't think it helps them out when they grow up and try to get a job.

A Random Stranger said...

Now Jaymes with a Y is totally going to find this when he Googles himself (asuming he Googles himself as often as I do).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...