"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Homeschooling

I've sort of been on the wall about homeschooling most of my marriage. My mother was an elementary school teacher. My brother-in-law is currently the assistant principal at my old high school. I received my Bachelor's degree in secondary education. Until I married my husband, I'd never considered homeschooling. My kids would go to school like I had. My husband, however, is a firm believer in homeschooling. Not that he was home schooled, but that he thinks it's the best alternative.

We compromised at last (our daughter starts kindergarten in the Fall). Our daughter will be enrolled in a virtual school. I've heard it described as "homeschooling with someone holding your hand." Basically, it's a homeschooling program that is part of our school district. The curriculum is provided. I'm happy, because I have guidelines for what to teach her. My husband is happy because we'll be more involved in her education, know what she's learning, etc.

Yesterday I had an experience that made me realize just how happy I am with this decision we've made. I was helping a girl in front of me get food at a potluck. She's a year older than my daughter and just finished Kindergarten. She informed me that she was a vegetarian, thus, most of the food was off limits to her. I found out from her mom that her kindergarten teacher last year was a vegetarian. This is how impressionable little kids are. By people who I don't know that well, yet they spend all day together. I have nothing against vegetarians. I don't particularly want one in my family that I have to cook for. Vegetarianism is probably not part of the kindergarten curriculum. It's that stuff that comes up during the course of a day that you just don't know what it's going to be. Or really, who the person is teaching your child.

On a lighter note, here's a scene from one of my favorite movies:



Keziah: No thanks, I'm a fruitarian.
Max: I didn't realize that.
William: And, ahm: what exactly is a fruitarian?
Keziah: We believe that fruits and vegetables have feeling so we think cooking is cruel. We only eat things that have actually fallen off a tree or bush - that are, in fact, dead already.
William: Right. Right. Interesting stuff. So, these carrots...
Keziah: Have been murdered, yes.
William: Murdered? Poor carrots. How beastly!

5 comments:

Cristin Lassen said...

A lot of people think homeschoolers are weirdos. I was homeschooled for 3 years and actually really liked it. My sisters were all homeschooled at one point or another (except Kelley). I think we all turned out semi-okay. My mom is a teacher too.

Jamie said...

You said something about Kimber programs? I haven't heard of that before. Is that what the program you are doing is called. I REALLY like the idea of having the curriculum given to you so you can add to it how you see fit. Right now Penny is in BYU summer preschool, and she'll probably do BYU kindergarten next fall, but I do feel that when they are so young, they need to be with their moms, but obviously the BYU program is great and there's like 4 kids to every teacher, safe, etc. etc.

Nance said...

Kimber Academy (which I can't find any "real" website for them now) is more of a small, private school according to my understanding. When we left Camarillo a guy in first ward was trying to start one up there. We're doing a virtual school in our school district. Our curriculum is provided by a company called k12... they list some virtual schools in Utah you can check out.
http://k12.com/curriculum_and_products
/participating_schools_in_utah/index
.html
I didn't realize BYU had a kindergarten too. Do they just do preschool and kindergarten and stop? I had church in those preschool classrooms one year. It was fun. We loved looking at the tiny toilets.

Nance said...

Also, our virtual school is open to anyone in the state of Kansas. I assume it would be true of the ones in Utah. So they might not be right in Provo or Orem, but you'd still be able to enroll.

wendys said...

It sounds interesting. I like the idea of being involved in the kids schooling but I'm really looking forward to having a break from the kids too...but we have 2 more years to decide,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...