"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Corn on the Cob

When I was at BYU, I went grocery shopping with my roommate at Smith's one time and she bought corn on the cob. I was super excited because it was packaged and already dehusked and said it came from Somis Farms aka Underwood's Produce, which is like the closest place to the house I grew up in to buy anything, a small produce stand on Highway 118 in Somis, CA. But they produce a ton of food items, and ship them all over, including Smith's Foods in Provo, UT.

So when I was at our local grocery store the other day, Hy-vee, the prepackaged, dehusked corn on the cob was on sale. I don't buy corn on the cob often, and I've never bought it prepackaged and dehusked, so subconsciously I sort of looked at the package to see if it would say "Somis Farms" anywhere. When I realized what I was doing, I had to laugh. I live in Kansas. I drive past fields of corn on a fairly regular basis. They are north, south, east and west of town. We drove past acres and acres of corn on our way to and from Iowa a few weekends ago. I live in corn country (although the University of Nebraska Cornhusker's would probably argue that statement).

2 comments:

wendys said...

I like corn on the cob. But I am always scared a worm is going to jump out at me when I start to husk it. Maybe the pre-husked packages are my solution!

Cristin Lassen said...

Buying dehusked corn sounds so silly to me. I mean, it's like 3 cobs for a $1 right now! What a great business idea to charge someone for something that takes 30 seconds to do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...