"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Key Limes

I am slightly obsessed with Key Limes as of late. I saw a special about some specialty store in the South that make divine Key Lime Pies a few years ago on the Food Network (probably on Food Finds, Good Eats, The Secret Life of... orUnwrapped since those are the shows I always used to watch). So, having this intro to Key Limes on the Food Network, and knowing how Key Limes are unique, etc. I tried a free sample of cake at Walmart the other day that was Key Lime Cake. (Ang, you'd be proud, it was my daughter who found the free cake samples - only about three feet above her eye level - and dragged me over.) It was so limey. Yum. So I was at Walmart again yesterday and they had the cakes (which had been Mother's Day specials) on sale. Of course, I bought one. It's not quite as good. But still pretty tastey. AND, Walmart has key limes for sale, a bag for $2.44. The Food Network show talked about how most Key Lime items you partake of, aren't made from authentic Key Limes. They are mostly found in Florida, etc. Kansas is far from Florida. I bought them as well. But now I need a good Key Lime recipe, and I'm not sure if I'd like a Key Lime Pie or not. Does anyone out there have a delicious Key Lime recipe to share??



This is of course not the picture of the Walmart Key Lime Cake. It was just sort of your everyday frosted cake, but lime green.



While browsing through Food Network recipes, I found a Key Lime tart recipe that only calls for 2 TBSP of Key Lime juice. I have a whole bag. I mean, they are tiny. But I'm sure that one bag puts out more than 2 TBSP. Plus I started worrying that I don't have a juicer. But then I remembered that from my days as a Pampered Chef Consultant that I at one point won a lime juicer which is in my drawer, which I believe I have never used. Until now...



5 comments:

wendys said...

I never knew there was a difference between key limes and regular limes! My favorite key lime pie is from the pendulum court restaurant at BYU. yum.

A Random Stranger said...

When you watch a movie set in a slummy diner and one of the patrons has ordered the key lime pie, that's how you know that someone's about to walk in and shoot the place up. For someone who won't let me own a gun, you sure do have a lot of key limes around the house right now. Boy was using them for marbles while you were visiting teaching tonight. (That's a bit of a hyperbole, but only barely.)

Nance said...

Okay, so the Key Lime Tart recipe I link to in this blog, I made them and they are totally yummy. But Key Lime Cooler Cookies which are called for in the recipe, are totally hard to find. I found a recipe on this page that worked great.
http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=59727

Nance said...

After the 5 cuts out on the link above, this is the rest of the website

9727

Erin said...

So I have been checking out all your recipes. (so many great ones I want to try!) Have you tried key lime pie yet? It is one of my absolute favorites. Incredibly easy to make. Buy a bottle of key lime juice--not just lime juice. I am pretty sure they have it at Dillons, maybe Hy-veee, for sure I have seen it at the Merc. The recipe is on the back. Perfect summer dessert.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...