"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Superhero




I have this nephew who is just two days younger than my son, so quickly approaching three years old. He's obsessed with Superman. As the only person who sews (however poorly) on my side of the family, I was recruited to sew a cape for him for Christmas. One side is Superman, the other is Mr. Incredible. I'm quite proud of myself. And everyone who sees them tells me I should sell capes on ebay. But some lady in Utah already beat me to it. That's where I got the idea to sew capes!
It all started because I thought my kids would like capes so I looked around online and figured someone could sew them for my kids. Who better than my mother-in-law who made all of my husband's younger brother's costumes, and he, according to family legend, was in a constant state of costume. She's quite experienced at making capes. And masks apparently. But she was moving and misplaced her serger for awhile and now seems to have forgotten about the capes.
So after sewing the Superman cape for my one nephew, I decided to sew a Spiderman cape for the other nephew. The back of his cape is a C for his name. Then while in California in January, my kids had to have capes of their own since Superman nephew never takes his off (seriously, never. The only time he doesn't wear it is church, and that's only because he's allowed to wear a superman undershirt that he can rip open his shirt and show everyone.) For Christmas, my seven year old niece got a Hello Kitty Janome Sewing Machine so, killing two birds with one stone, I sewed capes for my kids while showing her some of what her sewing machine could do.
And then, Princess Sparkley was invited to a Superman birthday party for a friend in Kansas so we sewed the birthday boy and his little brother mathing Superman capes with their first initials on the reverse. And at a church service auction fundraiser last night, I auctioned of two custom made capes. Now I'm apparently the expert cape sewer. Maybe I should market adult sized capes, think outside the box of what's already out there and available on ebay.

1 comment:

Cristin Lassen said...

The capes are very cool. It makes me want to sew. What a good idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...