"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Friday, December 15, 2006

Writer

So another BYU alumna has published a novel. This one I actually know. Not that she’d remember me, but I had two classes with her, one with her now husband, and her husband’s brother once had a crush on my best friend. If that isn’t a close relationship, I don’t know what is.

Here’s the problem. It makes me so jealous. My first thought is, "Yea, someone like me is published." My second thought is, "I’m so mad that it’s them and not me." My third thought is, "But you’re retarded and never even write." And that’s my last thought because I make myself stop thinking about it.

In the last year or two there have been four or five different LDS or BYU alumni that have come to my attention with a new book. They are all about my age. They are all living my dream. Or at least I assume they are because other than the published writer thing, I know nothing about them.

I’ve wanted to write as long as I can remember. Yet it’s just like school was for me. If I don’t study for the test, that can be my excuse for when I ultimately fail it. If I don’t write, that’s my excuse for never being published. Not that fact that I’m crap at it.

So with each new person who is sort of like me that gets published, I get a little more encouraged, a little more discouraged, and a little tiny bit motivated. We’ll see where that leads us.

3 comments:

wendys said...

Have you read this person's novel? Is it a steamy Mormon romance or is it a book that deserves being jealous of? I hope it motivates you. You have the most well written blogs around!

NKLM said...

Well... you are definitely way too nice.

I haven't read it yet. It's on my Christmas list and I'm pretty sure my parents got it for me. I did have a friend that read it and said it had its cheesey parts, but was pretty good.

Angela said...

I'm sure it sucks as almost all mormon literature does excluding Charlie which is emotional holocaust in the tear department and Kate Bjorkman which of course is genius. Louis Plummer is the one to really envy, and I think you are just as clever as her. At least you can write at all, I sat down to write my memoirs and wrote one sentence before I got bored.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...