"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Theme Songs

I always feel like there’s some sort of theme song to my life. More so when I was in the heyday of having my heart broken and falling in love with a new boy each week, month, year. I can remember being on the field at Somis School, it must have been 6th grade, so 1989 or 1990, singing Tommy Page’s "I’m falling in love" about some boy. Or in 9th grade nicknaming my crush "Friday" and thinking I was so sneaky writing "Friday I’m in Love" (The Cures) on the bottom of my Vans. My senior year of high school and freshman year of college encircled me with two different groups of friends that introduced me to new realms of music. But then I like to think I came in to my own, a little bit of everything (except rap, and only a tiny, eensie bit of country allowed).

I think when I decided on the "theme song" idea, was somewhere around age 19 and continued for the next few years. This seems to be when my life was in the most turmoil. And also, when I happened to be a member of both Columbia House and BMG, so my music selection was at its peak.

Does everyone have theme songs to their lives that change as life does? I’m not a musical person. Not in the least. As a kid, I always wished that if I’d been given a talent, it would have been to sing. Alas, that was not to be. I can’t sing. I quit piano lessons at age 10 or so. I tried the guitar, wasn’t very good, and was forced to give it up when my guitar was stolen. But, I’ve always been surrounded by musical people. Some of the songs that take me back are even songs I’d never be able to find on my own... like Ang’s cd that played the beginning to the "Beef, it’s what’s for dinner" song (which of course,is some classical song, not just a commercial jingle from the start).

I guess what has me thinking about this is that I’m listening to old cds. Some are just cds I’ve been neglecting, others I burned myself or friends made for me. Every once in awhile, I feel like I’m ignoring cds that at one point, were in the prize spot on my car’s sun visor, so I pull them out and listen to them. I can’t believe how much they take me back. I’m instantly transported to that place and time. Whether it’s high school, my freshman year at college, my last year at college when I was student teaching, or right before I got married. I can feel that happiness, loneliness, excitement, heartbreak, silliness, sadness. It’s crazy how powerful music really is, isn’t it?

4 comments:

the doze said...

I like your "What I'm Listening To" section on your blog. I think I may steal it for my blog. We share a common musical interest in Death Cab. My co-workers say that I look like the lead singer... whose name is also Ben. Kinda freaky. I'll post the photo on my blog.

NKLM said...

Have you checked out The Postal Service? We heard them first, then found out they are like a spin off band from Death Cab. Think THe Rentals to Weezer.

P.S. I stole the "what I'm listening to" section from my friend Robby. So steal away.

Angela said...

The beef song is Rodeo by Aaron Copland. Incidentally I was driving this morning and Apalachian Spring, also by Aaron Copland and on that same cd, came on the radio. Its the "Tis a gift to be simple" song and we played it on tour in Russia and I was practically in tears because it reminded me of that good time in my life, also it is amazing.
Also, Fast Car by Tracy Chapman came on the radio yesterday and it totally reminded me of us in the arch house and you driving me around because I didn't have a car. Do you remember me telling you it was our theme song? I was laughing...

the doze said...

I love the Postal Service. Did you know Jared Hess directed their video for the song, "We Will Become Silhouettes"? If you watch it online, you'll see what I mean. Very Napoleonesque.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...