"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Are you over thirty?

Those of you who read my blog (ie: very few) and are older than thirty (ie: no one at all) will laugh.

I'm 28. I usually wave off birthdays as no big deal. But for some reason, 28 seems like 30, which seems so old. And it's not. I'm just still stuck with that little kid mentality that anyone that isn't a kid is old. And 28 isn't a kid. I guess it's like my brother-in-law always says, in his mind, I'm still the 14 year old girl he met when he married my sister. In my mind, I'm always going to be somewhere between 20-24. Not that I want to go back to my life at that age, I just want to be in my current life, but younger. And with this mentality, I'm going to end of like the lady I saw at dinner last night. She had to be 80, dressed like a 35 year old real estate hottie, and sandals she must have borrowed from her 18 year old granddaughter. Sitting there, laughing her over makde-up face while sipping beer from the bottle. Do ladies that old drink beer? Let alone from the bottle??

I guess I'm just feeling like the years are speeding by too quickly. The fact that my parents are approaching 70 scares me. Seventy is old. Really old. People die at 70. Plus it seems like once you're 30 you have to add all sorts of doctor's appointments, and medications, and diseases to look for to the list of things to do. I'm already a hypochondriac, the only thing I had going for me was answering no to the questions: are you over 30? or are you over 35? Now what?

4 comments:

Chris said...

A few weeks ago when I was in a mall in Houston, Texas this woman stopped me in front of a store. She asked, "Would you like to complete a survey for people aged 35 plus?" I answered, "Oh, I'm only 27." She looked me up and down and said, "Really?" I hope she dies a slow painful death...

Angela said...

Oh how I can relate my fellow old lady. I know 28 isn't old, but it sure does feel like it sometimes. I have bad knees and my tailbone won't stop hurting for some strange reason. I now have glasses and people make fun of the clothes I wore in my freshman year of college. Time is going way too fast...

the doze said...

You are so right. 28 does feel like 30. Ick. At least I have my acne to make me feel like I am still 14. What a blessing!

Angela said...

LOL BEN!!! I had a dream during a very long nap today that I was 30. My mind is playing tricks on me, it thinks I am 30! It doesn't help that I am trapped in the mountains with a bunch of 21 year olds who keep reminding me how old I am. It is so depressing...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...